Thailand: Child Protesters targeted

Tilly lavenas

Feb 23, 2023, 10:16:00 AM2/23/23
Dear Friends

Please send this letter or in your own words on behalf of child human rights defenders who are being prosecuted and harassed for peacefully protesting. In 2020 university and secondary school students started a wave of peaceful demonstrations which spread to the streets. Thai authorities detained and charged participants and organisers, particularly after the protests called for reforms of the monarchy.

Among others, authorities have sentenced an LGBTI campaigner, an indigenous land rights activist, and a youth activist for protesting when they were under 18 years old. Thanks! Tilly & Guy

Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha
Office of the Prime Minister
Government House, Pitsanulok Road
Bangkok 10300, Thailand
Email: prfo...@prd.go.th
Twitter: @prayutofficial

Dear Prime Minister,

I was alarmed to learn that your government is punishing children for their right to freedom of peaceful assembly and expression.

I understand that for over two years, your government has charged at least 283 children who are calling for political reforms, improvement to the education system, protection of minority rights and gender equality.

I urge you to drop all criminal proceedings, to quash convictions against them and to stop intimidating children simply for peacefully exercising their human rights. I also call on you to amend or repeal legislation so it is in line with international standards.

Yours sincerely

Please send a copy to the ambassador in your country:

HE Mr. Tanee Sangrat
Royal Thai Embassy
1024 Wisconsin Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20007