Iran: Executions loom for youths arrested at 17

Tilly lavenas

Oct 23, 2021, 8:48:33 AM10/23/21
Dear friends

Please send this letter or in your own words on behalf of two young men who face imminent execution for crimes committed when they were 17. Their trials were grossly unfair and their executions have been postponed several times due to global condemnation.

Some good news! Our last letter concerned rights defender Valentina Chupik. She was being held at a Moscow airport and threatened with imminent forcible return to Uzbekistan where she would be at great risk. She was eventually allowed to leave Russia and is now in Armenia. https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/eur46/4826/2021/en/

Tilly & Guy

Mr. Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei
Head of judiciary,
c/o Embassy of Iran to the European Union
Avenue Franklin Roosevelt No. 15, 1050
Bruxelles
Belgium
secre...@iranembassy.be

Dear Mr Gholamhossein Mohseni Ejei,

I am worried about Arman Abdolali, who is facing imminent execution in Raja’i Shahr prison in Karaj for a crime that took place when he was 17 years old.

I am also deeply concerned about Hossein Shahbazi, who is also at risk of imminent execution in Adelabad prison in Shiraz after being sentenced to death. Both men were convicted in grossly unfair trials for crimes committed when they were just 17 years old.

I respectfully remind you that it is a violation of Iran’s obligations under international law not to use the death penalty against people who were under 18 at the time of the crime.

Justice will not be served by executing Arman and Hossein. Please urge your government to quash their convictions and death sentences and grant them fair retrials in full compliance with international law.

Sincerely

Iran doesn’t have an embassy in the US but UK residents can write to:
HE Dr Desra Percaya
Embassy of the Islamic Republic of Iran
16 Prince’s Gate
London SW7 1PT