Turkmenistan: ACTIVIST HELD INCOMMUNICADO AT RISK OF TORTURE

Tilly lavenas

Dec 4, 2021, 9:56:14 AM12/4/21
Dear Friends
Please send this letter or in your own words about Turkmen activist Azat Isakov. He is with the opposition movement Turkmenia, Unite!, which actively criticises the government through social media.  He went missing in Russia on 20 October. He is being held incommunicado in northeast Turkmenistan and is at imminent risk of torture and other ill-treatment. Thanks! Tilly & Guy

President Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedov
c/o The Permanent Mission of Turkmenistan to the UN
866 UN Plaza, Suite 540
New York, NY 10017 USA
Email: turkme...@un.int
  go.sa...@gmail.com

Dear President Berdimuhamedov,

I am deeply worried about the safety of opposition activist Azat Isakov. His whereabouts have been unknown since he went missing from Nikonovo in Russia, on 20 October. I understand he is being held by the Ministry of National Security of Turkmenistan.

It has been reported that officers of the Ministry of National Security have repeatedly threatened Azat's family members with rape and abduction.

Unless there is credible evidence to charge Azat with an internationally recognized criminal offence, I respectfully urge you to release him immediately. In the meantime, please disclose his whereabouts and ensure he is not being tortured or ill-treated.

Sincerely

Please send a copy to the ambassador in your country:
HE Mr Yazmurad N. Seryaev
Embassy of Turkmenistan
131 Holland Park Avenue
London W11 4UT