Egypt: Prisoner of conscience detained incommunicado

Tilly lavenas

Feb 14, 2021, 7:04:20 AM2/14/21
Dear Friends

Please send this letter or in your own words on behalf of prisoner of conscience Ahmed Samir Santawy, a researcher who focuses on women's rights, including reproductive rights in Egypt. As many of you know, thousands of human rights defenders, activists, lawyers, politicians, protesters, journalists, medical workers and academics are languishing in Egyptian prisons. Proceedings are generally based on secret police investigations. Thanks! Tilly & Guy

Public Prosector Hamada al-Sawi
Office of the Public Prosecutor
Madinat al-Rehab
Cairo
Arab Republic of Egypt
Email: m.of...@ppo.gov.eg

Dear Public Prosecutor

I’m writing to protest the arbitrary detention of Ahmed Samir Santawy. As you must know, he is a researcher and anthropology master's student who was arrested on 1 February, forcibly disappeared and beaten at the NSA office.

I’m concerned that Ahmed is now in prison without access to his family or lawyers. I’m worried about his wellbeing, especially due to COVID-19 outbreaks in prisons and lack of adequate medical care.

I urge you to immediately and unconditionally release Ahmed and to launch a prompt and impartial investigation into his allegations of being forcibly disappeared and beaten. Until then I ask for immediate access to his family and lawyers, adequate health care and protection from torture.

Sincerely

Please send a copy to the ambassador in your country:

HE Motaz Zahran
Embassy of the Arab Republic of Egypt
3521 International Court
Washington, DC 20008