Philosophy in Action Sunday Radio: Spanking, Parenting, Cheating, and More

Diana Hsieh

Jun 22, 2012, 11:33:26 AM6/22/12
In Sunday morning's episode of Philosophy in Action Radio, I will
answer questions on corporal punishment of kids, parenting as a
central purpose, compartmentalized cheating, faith in something
greater than the self, and more with Greg Perkins. Don't miss this
engaging hour-long discussion of applying rational principles to the
challenges of real life at http://www.PhilosophyInAction.com!

* What: Philosophy in Action Q&A Radio Show
* Who: Dr. Diana Hsieh and Greg Perkins
* When: Sunday, 24 June 2012 at 8 am PT / 9 am MT / 10 am CT / 11 am
ET
* Where: http://www.PhilosophyInAction.com/live

This week's questions are:

* Question 1: Corporal Punishment of Kids: Is corporal punishment of
children ever proper? The 2011 video of Judge William Adams beating
his daughter ( http://youtu.be/Wl9y3SIPt7o ) raises the question of
whether it's ever necessary or proper to physically discipline
children. Does the age of the child matter, particularly given that
you can't reason with younger children? Does the amount of force used
matter? When does physical punishment violate the child's rights?

* Question 2: Parenting as a Central Purpose: Can parenting be a
central purpose in life? Many people think that only a career can
serve as a person's central purpose. They think that a central purpose
must be remunerative, and that it can't be merely temporary. Is that
right? Can parenting be a person's central purpose, even if only for a
few years?

* Question 3: Compartmentalized Cheating: Is it true that, "if you
cheat on your wife, you'll cheat on your business partner"? A few
months ago, a Republican presidential candidate said of Newt Gingrich,
"if you cheat on your wife, you'll cheat on your business partner."
Leaving aside the specifics of any particular politician's personal
life, is the broader principle accurate? If you knew that someone
cheated on his wife, does that mean he should be regarded as an
untrustworthy for a business partnership? Or as morally unfit to be
your doctor? Or as unfit to be an elected official?

* Question 4: Faith in Something Greater than the Self: Doesn't
everyone need to have faith in something greater than themselves? Most
people have faith in something greater than themselves -- whether God,
their community, the state, the environment. Doesn't everyone need
that, to help steer them in life? Or do you think that's unnecessary
or even wrong?

After that, we'll tackle some impromptu "Rapid Fire Questions."

If you attend the live show, you can share your thoughts with other
listeners and ask me follow-up questions in the text chat. If you
miss the live broadcast, you'll find the audio recording of the whole
episode, as well as individual questions, posted to the episode's
archive page:

http://www.philosophyinaction.com/archive/2012-06-24.html

From that page, you can post comments on the questions before or after
the broadcast.

Philosophy in Action Radio broadcasts live every Wednesday evening and
Sunday morning. Take a peek at the Episodes on Tap --
http://www.philosophyinaction.com/upcoming -- for the scoop on upcoming
shows!

In the meantime...

* Connect With Us: http://www.philosophyinaction.com/connect/ -- Keep
informed via our social media, newsletter, RSS feeds, and more.

* Peruse the Q&A Radio Archives: http://www.philosophyinaction.com/archive/
-- Listen to past shows and peruse questions by topic.

* Vote on the Queue: http://www.philosophyinaction.com/queue/ -- Submit
and vote on questions for upcoming episodes.

I hope that you'll join us on Sunday morning!

-- Diana Hsieh (Ph.D, Philosophy)
http://www.PhilosophyInAction.com