Don't find evidence of Shakespeare's Thanksgiving.

bookburn

Nov 23, 2022, 11:46:10 AM11/23/22
Yes, there are attempts to ring in references to "thanksgiving," etc., but no such holiday in Shakespeare, it seems.

Like to see someone put together a play about Shakespeare getting an invitation to a Thanksgiving dinner, where lots of circumstances and encounters are dramatized as the dinner date approaches, and Shakespeare must amuse himself with memories; maybe a play such as Dickens would be able to do. Could have favorite Shakespeare characters appear around the dinner table, like Tiny Tim and Bob Cratchet.

Such a scene would suit my hypotheses about re-creation.

Margaret

Nov 24, 2022, 3:52:18 AM11/24/22
Shakespeare wrote his own Thanksgiving play, nine years before the Pilgrims landed. It's called The Tempest. His take is a bit like that other wise man, Jon Stewart's: "I celebrated Thanksgiving in an old-fashioned way. I invited everyone in my neighborhood to my house, we had an enormous feast, and then I killed them and took their land.”

This island's mine, by Sycorax my mother,
Which thou takest from me. When thou camest first,
Thou strokedst me and madest much of me, wouldst give me
Water with berries in't, and teach me how
To name the bigger light, and how the less,
That burn by day and night: and then I loved thee
And show'd thee all the qualities o' the isle,
The fresh springs, brine-pits, barren place and fertile:
Cursed be I that did so! All the charms
Of Sycorax, toads, beetles, bats, light on you!
For I am all the subjects that you have,
Which first was mine own king: and here you sty me
In this hard rock, whiles you do keep from me
The rest o' the island.

John W Kennedy

Nov 24, 2022, 3:51:50 PM11/24/22
See “Harvest festival" in Wikipedia. As Jack Pumpkinhead put it,
“...just the same, only...different.”

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,

marc hanson

Nov 25, 2022, 2:48:51 PM11/25/22
Margaret,

i like your post

i'm currently mulling over the word civil, civility, civilization etc, in relation to today's world, with still so many dictator like leaders

[watched a version of Measure for Measure recently]

marc