"Why We Need Shakespeare and Beethoven"

gggg gggg

Mar 18, 2021, 1:20:29 PM3/18/21

marc hanson

Nov 21, 2021, 12:12:42 PM11/21/21
On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 1:20:29 PM UTC-4, gggg gggg wrote:
> https://thedispatch.com/p/why-we-need-shakespeare-and-beethoven.

Margaret

Nov 22, 2021, 3:28:18 AM11/22/21
On Sunday, 21 November 2021 at 17:12:42 UTC, flm...@gmail.com wrote:
> On Thursday, March 18, 2021 at 1:20:29 PM UTC-4, gggg gggg wrote:
> > https://thedispatch.com/p/why-we-need-shakespeare-and-beethoven.

A right-winger attempting to portray William Shakespeare as their ally in their culture wars? Sure. Everybody always does. Even Hitler staged Shakespeare.

Defining your enemy as the enemy of Shakespeare is a cheap trick. No one who loves Shakespeare will fall for it.

John W Kennedy

Nov 22, 2021, 6:14:35 PM11/22/21
Once he started quoting Ayn Rand, I quit.

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,

Margaret

Nov 22, 2021, 7:59:05 PM11/22/21
On Monday, 22 November 2021 at 23:14:35 UTC, john.w....@gmail.com wrote:
> On 11/22/21 3:28 AM, Margaret wrote:
> >
> > A right-winger attempting to portray William Shakespeare as their ally in their culture wars? Sure. Everybody always does. Even Hitler staged Shakespeare.
> >
> > Defining your enemy as the enemy of Shakespeare is a cheap trick. No one who loves Shakespeare will fall for it.
> >
> Once he started quoting Ayn Rand, I quit.

Letter from Ayn Rand to Monroe Shakespeare, manufacturer of fishing tackle, Oct 10th 1943

"...look at how your name is working. This is a greater magic than William Shakespeare ever worked. (I never cared much for him anyway. From now on my first Shakespeare is Monroe.)"

John W Kennedy

Nov 23, 2021, 5:06:42 PM11/23/21
On 11/22/21 7:59 PM, Margaret wrote:
> On Monday, 22 November 2021 at 23:14:35 UTC, john.w....@gmail.com wrote:
>>>
>>> A right-winger attempting to portray William Shakespeare as their ally in their culture wars? Sure. Everybody always does. Even Hitler staged Shakespeare.
>>>
>>> Defining your enemy as the enemy of Shakespeare is a cheap trick. No one who loves Shakespeare will fall for it.
>>>
>> Once he started quoting Ayn Rand, I quit.
>>
> Letter from Ayn Rand to Monroe Shakespeare, manufacturer of fishing tackle, Oct 10th 1943
>
> "...look at how your name is working. This is a greater magic than William Shakespeare ever worked. (I never cared much for him anyway. From now on my first Shakespeare is Monroe.)"

There are times when I wish I had Dante’s talent. This is one of them.