Elizabethan Police State

marc hanson

Jul 28, 2022, 12:23:07 PM7/28/22
[the historian Michael Wood did a several hours long show on BBC,
entitled In Search of Shakespeare]

near the beginning he says "...and the secret archives of English history...luckily for us Elizabethan England
was a police state...it's spies recorded everything...through them we can trace
Shakespeare's connections from Warwickshire to the wilds of Lancashire"

it seems to me,
if there were some conspiracy, front man, real author etc, surrounding William Shakespeare, you might/would find something recorded in these archives

marc

Margaret

Jul 29, 2022, 3:19:53 AM7/29/22
It seems to me, the first time an actor in rehearsal said "Sorry Will, that bit where Hamlet unpacks his heart like a stallion - should that be scullion?" any such unlikely conspiracy would be blown wide open.

marc hanson

Jul 30, 2022, 3:21:49 PM7/30/22
good one,
and i'm sure one could come up with similar incidents, where a "conspiracy" would be noticed, and talked about, and eventually written down somewhere

i think gossip is something like 2/3 of our talking

marc