"Shakespeare is practically our only link with the classic and the past. The future of education has much to do with whether we will be able to cling to him or not."

gggg gggg

Apr 1, 2023, 12:11:35 PM4/1/23
Any reactions to what Allan Bloom said?

gggg gggg

Apr 1, 2023, 12:15:29 PM4/1/23
On Saturday, April 1, 2023 at 9:11:35 AM UTC-7, wrote:
> Any reactions to what Allan Bloom said?

And what about this?:

- Shakespeare did not consider himself the legislator of mankind. He faithfully records man's problems and does not evidently propose to solve them.

marc hanson

Apr 1, 2023, 1:48:58 PM4/1/23
it seems to me that, Shakespeare was simply[!] a poet, playwright, artist, investor/producer

he appears to throw in an opinion, here and there in the canon

marc

John W Kennedy

Apr 1, 2023, 10:51:39 PM4/1/23
“We are rather eclectic about these identifications. We seldom bolster
up our worst designs with the observation: ‘As Milton says, “Evil, be
thou my good”,’ or conclude that because Shakespeare created Iago,
therefore he ‘was’ Iago. But we do incline to suppose that a writer can
be somehow cabined, cribbed, confined inside one of his ‘favourite’
characters or one of his more impassioned utterances.”
—Dorothy L. Sayers: “The Mind of the Maker”

--
John W. Kennedy
Algernon Burbage, Lord Roderick, Father Martin, Bishop Baldwin,