Wherein he puts almes for obliuion

Arthur Neuendorffer

Nov 20, 2021, 5:27:56 PM11/20/21
THE Historie of Troylus and Cresseida.

As it was acted by the Kings Maiesties
seruants at the Globe.

Written by William Shakespeare,
LONDON

Imprinted by G. Eld for R. Bonian and H. Walley, and
are to be sold at the spred Eagle in Paules
Church-yeard, ouer against the
great North doore.

1609.
THE Famous Historie of Troylus and Cresseid.

Excellently expressing the beginning
of their loues, with the conceited wooing
of Pandarus Prince of Licia.

Written by William Shakespeare.
LONDON

Imprinted by G. Eld for R. Bonian and H. Walley, and
are to be sold at the spred Eagle in Paules
Church-yeard, ouer against the
great North doore.

1609.
Achill. I doe beleeue it,
. For they past by me as misers do by beggars,
. Neither gaue to me good word nor looke:
. What are my deeds forgot?

Vliss. Time hath (my Lord) a wallet at his back,
. Wherein he puts almes for obliuion:
. A great siz'd monster of ingratitudes,
. Those scraps are good deeds past,
. Which are deuour'd as fast as they are made,
. Forgot as soone as done, perseuerance deere my Lord:
. Keepes honour bright, to haue done, is to hang,
. Quite out of fashion like a rusty male,
. In monumentall mockry? take the instant way,
. For honour trauells in a straight so narrow:
. Where on but goes a brest, keepe then the path
. For emulation hath a thousand Sonnes,
. That one by one pursue, if you giue way,
. Or turne a side from the direct forth right:
. Like to an entred tide they all rush by,
. And leaue you him, most, then what they do in present:
. Though lesse then yours in passe, must ore top yours.
. For time is like a fashionable hoast,
. That slightly shakes his parting guest by th'hand,
. And with his armes out-stretcht as he would flie,
. Graspes in the commer: the welcome euer smiles,
. And farewell goes out sighing. Let not vertue seeke,
. Remuneration for the thing it was. For beauty, wit,
. High birth, vigor of bone, desert in seruice,
. Loue, friendship, charity, are subiects all,
. To enuious and calumniatig time.
. One touch of nature makes the whole world kin,
. That all with one consent praise new-borne gaudes,
. Though they are made and moulded of things past,
. And goe to dust, that is a little guilt,
. More laud then guilt ore-dusted.
. The present eye praises the present obiect.
. Then maruell not thou great and complet man,
. That all the Greekes begin to worship Aiax;
. Since things in motion sooner catch the eye,
. That what stirs not. The crie went once on thee,
. And [S]till it might, and yet it may aga[I]ne,
. If thou wouldst not entombe [T]hy selfe aliue,
. And case thy rep[U]tation in thy tent,
. Whose glori[O]us deeds but in these fields of late,
. Made emulous missions mongst the gods them selues
. And draue great Mars to faction.
[OUTIS] -26
Achil. Of this my priuacie,
I haue strong reasons.