Sanskrit word for marketplace?

Anand Lakhotia

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

Hi, I would appreciate if anyone can tell me the sanskrit word for a store, market, and marketplace and its synonyms. Thank you.

Anand
gem...@poboxes.com

Sid Harth

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97
to Anand Lakhotia, sans...@cs.utah.edu

My dear Anand,

Sanskrit words for store/shop are shaalaa or paNya. More specifically,
it is vikraya-shaalaa. The Sanskrit words for Shopkeeper are aapaNikaH,
paNyaajeeva, vipaNin.h. and krayavikrayikaH. The words for Market are
vipaNi, aapaNa, nishhadyaa, paNyaviithii, paNyaviithikaa, hatta, paNya.
marketplace could be written as either krayavikrayasthaanaM, or
krayavikrayasthalaM. Market price is paNyamuulyaM adha.rbalaabalaM.
Market town is either mukhyanagaraM, or kava.rTaH. Marketable can be
written as paNya, paNyaaha.r, krayavikrayayogya. Market day is
haTTadivasa.

Sid

http://members.tripod.com/~bakula/index.html

Nagasimha Iyengar

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

Sid Harth wrote:
> Marketable can be
> written as paNya, paNyaaha.r, krayavikrayayogya. Market day is
> haTTadivasa.

Incidentally, the word "Market" itself seems to have origins
in kannada. "Maru" means "sell" and "Katte" means "a raised place" -
a place where a trader could keep his items. Marukatte means
a place for selling.

Naga
--
Disclaimer: My views only
Spam-proof email address: Remove the J's in the email address before

VB

May 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/30/97

Nagasimha Iyengar <iyen...@iJdt.neJt> writes:

>Sid Harth wrote:
>> Marketable can be
>> written as paNya, paNyaaha.r, krayavikrayayogya. Market day is
>> haTTadivasa.

>Incidentally, the word "Market" itself seems to have origins
>in kannada. "Maru" means "sell" and "Katte" means "a raised place" -
>a place where a trader could keep his items. Marukatte means
>a place for selling.

Market in english derives from latin mercari (trade) which
leads to a host of related words in italian, french as well as
english (merchant, mercantile etc.);

So, in order for this to be a loan word into latin from
kannada:
1. The loan must have occured before 300 bce, as mercari shows
up in roman works as early as that. Its not completely
inconcievable since the ancient tradelinks beween roman
world and Indian westcoast are well established.
2. If we assume this scenario, then we should find similar
words and their derivations in proto-dravid or at least
southern dravid (kannada doesnt seem to exist as a separate
language circa 300 bce);

As far as I know, no etymal evidence is present. Linguists
may want to dig a bit deeper though. Reminds of the time a
friend of asserted that Indians originated in africa coz a large
mountain in (kenya? uganda?) africa is called "Meru".

Matthew Montchalin

May 31, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/31/97

<338B047E...@earthlink.net> <338B7CC6.3BC3EB7D@iJdt.

In a previous article, ba...@cs.umn.edu (VB) says:

>>Incidentally, the word "Market" itself seems to have origins
>>in kannada. "Maru" means "sell" and "Katte" means "a raised place" -
>>a place where a trader could keep his items. Marukatte means
>>a place for selling.
>
> Market in english derives from latin mercari (trade) which
>leads to a host of related words in italian, french as well as
>english (merchant, mercantile etc.);

And here I've always believed that mercari was a frequentative form of
mereri, too. If, as it would be logical to assume from the gist of your
post, mereri is /not/ connected with mercari, then what words /are/
connected with it?

The following words I have considered connected:

mel = honey
melius = better
mundus = good 'n' clean (tidy), as in "domus munda"
mereri = be worthy, be good for something
mercari = turn a profit, get the goods
merces = reward
Mercurius = god of Commerce
merus = sweet wine (not cloudy with yeast)
amoenus = nice
--
Just a little spark on the wire...

VB

Jun 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/3/97

mmon...@orednet.org (Matthew Montchalin) writes:
>>>Incidentally, the word "Market" itself seems to have origins
>>>in kannada. "Maru" means "sell" and "Katte" means "a raised place" -
>>>a place where a trader could keep his items. Marukatte means
>>>a place for selling.
>>
>> Market in english derives from latin mercari (trade) which
>>leads to a host of related words in italian, french as well as
>>english (merchant, mercantile etc.);
>>

>And here I've always believed that mercari was a frequentative form of
>mereri, too. If, as it would be logical to assume from the gist of your
>post, mereri is /not/ connected with mercari, then what words /are/
>connected with it?

umm, I make no connections other than what I posted. I was
opining on whether english "market" had roots in kannada "marukatte"
as suggested by another nettor. I concluded in the negative as
there is good evidence that it derives from latin. And not
enough to make a case for dravidian let alone kannada.

If you have a different theory about the relation between
these two, I'll be happy to hear about it. If not,
I missed the point you were making. btw, I sorry about
quoting the entire post; I hoped all followups in one place
might make it easier to look at relevent portion.

subramaniamp...@gmail.com

Dec 6, 2019, 11:04:29 PM12/6/19
आपणः = shop
विपणि = market (many shops)