on learning sanskrit

Sanjay Vohra

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
hi
i would like to request opinions of forum members regarding sources for
learning sanskrit ie books, courses etc
i have come across (web sites) of the sanskrit bharathi site and
american
sanskrit institute (?), any comments on these

thanks, look forward to your replies, btw is there a faq for this ng

prad...@my-deja.com

Feb 29, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/29/00
Hi, this is Gabriel (Pradiipaka) from The Sanskrit Web Site
(www.geocities.com/Athens/Rhodes/3502/index.html).
I just can recommend my site (no comments about the two sites referred
to by you). You will find a Links page on my site with URL's specially
recommended.

In article <38B2D4F9...@seb2.eng.ohio-state.edu>,

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ganipan...@my-deja.com

Mar 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/2/00
Hi.
You should also explore opportunities in OSU itself (you seem to be
there). I am in UCLA and sit in on the Sanskrit classes in the Indic
Studies department here.
I also find Coulson' book Teach Yourself Sanskrit very useful.

Regards,
Ganesh.

yash...@my-deja.com

Mar 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/23/00
Germany is a good place to learn Sanskrit.

---
Announcement
------------------

SUMMER SCHOOL IN SPOKEN SANSKRIT

The Department of Classical Indology, South Asia Institute, University
of Heidelberg, Germany, offers you this unique opportunity to
participate in a spoken Sanskrit course this summer under the tutelage
of a Sanskrit native speaker. It is the aim of the course to enable
students, particularly those pursuing Indological Studies, to overcome
the perception of Sanskrit as a written language alone and, instead, to
learn to pronounce, speak and recite it. The three-week course will make
the study of Sanskrit a playful experience and demystify it.

Prerequisites: Elementary knowledge of Sanskrit and English
Organizer: Prof. Dr. Axel Michaels
Teachers: Shri Sadananda Das, aided by Dr. Srilata Mueller
Venue: South Asia Institute
Date: 11 September - 30 September 1800
Fees: DM 250,- (including teaching material)
Accomodation: can be arranged at the University Student Hostel
at the cost of DM 275,- to DM 400,-
Registration: until 10. 06. 2000
by e-mail at
http://www.sai.uni-heidelberg.de/IND/summer.htm
or letter to:
The Sekretariat,
Dept. of Classical Indology,
South Asia Institute,
Im Neuenheimer Feld 330,
69120 Heidelberg,
Germany

Maximum number of participants is 15.

yash...@my-deja.com

Mar 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM3/24/00
"Dant Dhavanam Krutam Va?"

MILIND GHATWAI (from Indian Express)

VADODARA,: Every morning, four-year-old Bhargava greets his father:
``Suprabhatam.'' A few minutes later the father, Sanjay Nasikkar, asks
him: ``Dant Dhavanam Krutam Va? (Have you brushed your teeth?)'' And to
his daughter, Rucha, he says: ``Shighram Karotu. Shalayam Vilamb
Bhavati! (Hurry up, you are getting late for school!)''

At the Nasikkar home in Akota area of Vadodara, Sanskrit is the
language of everyday conversation, even argument. When Nasikkar and his
wife argue, they don't do so in their mother tongue, Marathi. They let
the barbs fly in Sanskrit.

In the Waghodia area, at Pankaj Patel's house mornings begin with his
two-and-a-half year old daughter Shruti reciting Sanskrit shlokas. The
Patels, too, are committed to keeping Sanskrit alive. Patel and his
wife Manisha keep Sanskrit alive at home just like the Nasikkars do:
they speak Sanskrit at home. Three-and-a-half years after her marriage
into the family, Manisha still makes mistakes, but is confident of
mastering the nuances soon.

Both the families have been conversing in Sanskrit for years and intend
to keep doing so. Their zeal to spread and popularise Sanskrit got a
boost when this year was declared the Year of Sanskrit.

While Nasikkar is member of Sanskrit Bharati. If Nasikkar is to be
believed, at least 20 families in Vadodara converse fluently in
Sanskrit at home and about 50 others in broken Sanskrit.

For members of Sanskrit Bharati and a few others like Patel, Sanskrit
is the means of conversation, never mind if they are talking on the
telephone, at market place, or while commuting by train. They all say
that shorn of tedious grammar lessons and the fear associated with
them, ``Sanskrit bhasha sarla na tu kathina. (Sanskrit is neither easy
nor difficult.'' That Sanskrit is meant onlyfor Brahmins, that women
and others castes should not learn the language, that the language is
very difficult to learn these are misconceptions and have been proved
wrong.

In fact, Sanskrit Bharati says there are at least three villages in the
country where Sanskrit is the only means of conversation: from
rickshawalas to grocers, and from fights at public taps to brawls at
the bus stand, everybody sticks to Sanskrit.

Shweta Kaluskar, who is doing a Ph.D. in Sanskrit, speaks to her family
members only in Sanskrit, though none of them responds the same way.
They all love and understand the language, but regret they can't
converse in it. A co-coordinator of Sanskrit Bharati, Kaluskar says as
many as 40,000 families have attended the ``direct teaching method''
(rather Sakshat Pathan Paddhati) classes that promise to teach the
language in 10 days.

The course has its funny moments when students swap genders. ``But is
that not the case when one learns any new language?'' asks Nasikkar,
and cites an examplefrom his own family. One day, when he asked his son
Bhargava, ``Kutra gachhati?'' (Where are you going?), the answer was,
``I am not a dog'', for the boy mistook the word kutra for the Gujarati
word for dog.

Members of the extended Sanskrit family say the language has brought a
new excitement in their lives. Sanjay's father Vamanrao was not fluent
but he practiced it with his grand-children. These families also
organise get-togethers (Parivar Milan) once a month and even organise
picnics (or Paryatans) during which only Sanskrit is spoken.

---

Anand Sethuraman

Jun 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM6/9/00
There is also a book called "devavanipraveiska" by Goldman which is very
good instruction wise.

the Coulson book is quite complete.

<ganipan...@my-deja.com> wrote in message

ravik...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 5:06:43 AM10/15/16
Can some one give me address of Sanjay Nasikkar. I want to contact him to learn Sanskrit.

Rahul Dolas

Jul 14, 2017, 5:48:31 PM7/14/17
On Tuesday, 22 February 2000 13:30:00 UTC+5:30, Sanjay Vohra wrote:
> hi
> i would like to request opinions of forum members regarding sources for
> learning sanskrit ie books, courses etc
> i have come across (web sites) of the sanskrit bharathi site and
> american
> sanskrit institute (?), any comments on these
>
> thanks, look forward to your replies, btw is there a faq for this ng

In case you wish to learn Sanskrit online from a personal tutor via Skype, then have a look at https;//openpathshala.com/live-class.

They have been running Skype classes for Sanskrit for a couple of years.

akhilpi...@gmail.com

Jul 17, 2017, 11:54:09 AM7/17/17
This course aims to give you an overview of Bhagavad Gita by going through each of its 18 chapters. You will learn important lessons and practical tips that you can use in your daily life to become a better version of yourself. This course will give you a whole new approach of Bhagavad Gita when you will read it on your own!
www.OpenPathshala.com. We aim to make it your best source for learning Sanskrit!. The curriculum of courses taught are going to be based on class books of Sanskrit, making it excellent entry point to learning Sanskrit from the ground up
Check out a demo video explaining a topic in Sanskrit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77TxPJFuk_I