Russian and Japanese

lepensuer

Sep 10, 2009, 8:29:33 AM9/10/09
to Huliganov and friends
Has anyone here tried to learn two languages at once? I know that this
had been considered already in others forum throughout the internet;
however, I am not looking for suggestion ... I would like to know your
personal experiences.

This is the deal! I am learning Russian, my motivation is extremely
high and I have a good study method setup already. But surfing the net
I came along with Japanese, and the same aspects that motivate me to
study Russian are the ones to intrigue me about Japanese. Moreover,
much to my surprise when I mentioned to my wife she told me that she
has been looking into it for months, together with my kids. Even my
kids know a few words in Japanese already, and all these from watching
a few videos in YouTube.

I am not planning to drop Russian; however, I was thinking in adding
Japanese to the melting pot. I will make it a family affair, you know
making it fun. So, if you have tried and succeeded or failed please
let me know your insides, issues, goals, failings, etc. I would like
to know what are up to!
Спасибо!

davidemerling

Sep 10, 2009, 1:49:16 PM9/10/09
to Huliganov and friends
Do you have a job? :)

Geez, this seems like quit a daunting undertaking. It would seem to me
that it would be infinitely easier to learn something similar to
Russian.

Удачи!

Steve Reaves

Sep 10, 2009, 1:31:30 PM9/10/09
to huli...@googlegroups.com
I have a BA in Classical Greek from the University of Texas at Austin.  While attending UT in addition to Greek, I studied Latin, Hebrew and Russian.  Almost every semester I had courses in two different languages.  It was challenging but manageable.  A couple of semesters I studied three languages at once.  I found this to be very difficult.  Once the basics are learned, it is not so bad to work on several languages at the same time.  Most days now I study Greek, Hebrew, Old English, sometimes Russian and Latin.  At the beginning, however,  when one is trying to commit so much to memory, 3 at once is quite hard.
There are some who, by their situation, are exposed to many languages at once and seem to learn them fairly well (the Swiss, for example).  When one is learning on one's own, however, without the benefit of immersion, it can be very challenging.  I would say that studying two at once is not unmanageable, but of course the time devoted to each will take away from the other.

Пожалуйста!

Sep 20, 2009, 11:03:49 AM9/20/09
to Huliganov and friends
I'm learning Czech and Japanese. With my Goldlist Method it works
fine.
Nihongo-wa muzukashii desukara, watashi-wa Nihongo ga yozu de nai
arimasen.