Reading and Listening Comprehension

rmfalves

Jun 1, 2009, 6:40:56 PM6/1/09
to Huliganov and friends
Hi
Is there any good online documentation from which i can practice some
elementary step by step russian reading, as well as listening
comprehension?
Thanks in advance

Rui

Вилям Крейгович

Jun 4, 2009, 3:58:50 PM6/4/09
to Huliganov and friends
I don't quite know of any elementary "reading" per se, but I know of
an intermediate dual language book, that I, as a beginner, found quite
easy to read.
http://www.russianlessons.net/ebooks/crime_and_punishment.php?language=both&part=1&chapter=1
You learn some good idioms, good syntax, and general knowledge from it.

Only4Russian

Jun 5, 2009, 11:36:49 AM6/5/09
to huli...@googlegroups.com
This is not online, but I have found the textbook and workbook called "Live from Russia! Russian Stage One" from Kendall Hunt Publishers to be fantastic. The book comes with an audio cd and a DVD too. There are listening/reading/writing exercises on the CD.The DVD has a story acted out  in parts which go along with the chapters in the book.The workbook has writing exercises as well as listening and comprehension exercises , coordinated with the audio cd.The book also directs you to the publisher's website where additional audio exercises are found. These are downloadable so you can put them on your mp3 player too.  There are other text/cd sets out there but this is the most thorough and comprehensive set I have seen.And it goes slowly...so you will not make any bad habits that you will need to un-learn later. It is the beginning book, in a series that has about 4 levels, all the way to advanced Russian.
I know this sounds like an advertisement But I have nothing to do with that company.I bought Nachalo and Golosa-they are used in colleges too, but found them boring and slow.And just not as rich and useful  as this Live From Russia set.
I hope this helps.
ola

John Strickland

Jul 22, 2009, 9:15:48 AM7/22/09
to Huliganov and friends
For listening, I really enjoy listening to Russian radio stations,
which are found here: http://www.listenlive.eu/ (click on "Russia" and
select a station).

For reading, I don't know of many resources as I'm just a beginner in
the language, but this may be what you're looking for:
http://astore.amazon.com/wwwusenetposc-20/detail/0844242810

Hope it helps.

~John