Hi Everyone. I'm New

batyaboo

May 17, 2011, 3:30:09 AM5/17/11
to Huliganov and friends
I'm new here. I've been watching the Russian course on Youtube (not
necessarily in the right order...) and I became intrigued with the
Gold List method. I've started my bronze book and I have 4 pages done
already, over the last 2 days, WITH the 10-20 minute breaks.

Some of the words I've used are completely new, from the vocabulary
portion of my Russian book, which I'm using for a course at the
Russian Embassy here. Some of the words are from VDH's course and some
are words I've already learned.

I'm sure I'm asking prematurely and if I am, just tell me to shut up
and get back to work. I have no doubt that I don't remember any of
the words I wrote on my lists over the past 2 days. Is this really
the way it's supposed to work? Will it penetrate next time I look at
my lists? I'm afraid I'll read my lists and STILL not remember any of
the new words.

I guess I'm just looking for a bit of encouragement here.....

Thanks for listening.
Dena Gottlieb (batyaboo on Youtube)

Daniel Hall

May 20, 2011, 4:22:49 PM5/20/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
You memorize Russian words through constant use. You might check out some Russian civic associations in your area.

2011/5/20 Daniel Hall <ehs...@gmail.com>
Check out the highschools in your area to find out if any of them have free Russian language courses.Also, there are several free Russian language courses on the internet. I am studying on my own at this time.

2011/5/17 batyaboo <yehud...@gmail.com>

--
Вы получили это сообщение, поскольку подписаны на группу Huliganov and friends.

Чтобы добавлять сообщения в эту группу, отправьте письмо по адресу huli...@googlegroups.com.
Чтобы отменить подписку на эту группу, отправьте сообщение по адресу huliganov+...@googlegroups.com.
О дополнительных функциях можно узнать в группе по адресу http://groups.google.com/group/huliganov?hl=ru.

Daniel Hall

May 20, 2011, 4:20:50 PM5/20/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
Check out the highschools in your area to find out if any of them have free Russian language courses.Also, there are several free Russian language courses on the internet. I am studying on my own at this time.

2011/5/17 batyaboo <yehud...@gmail.com>
I'm new here.  I've been watching the Russian course on Youtube (not

P. C.

May 20, 2011, 5:19:00 PM5/20/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dena,
No, don't ever think that you should shut up!  If you don't ask questions, things will be more difficult for you.  Huliganov's lessons are both helpful and entertaining, and a useful resource for study.  The Goldlist method is a good way to organize vocabulary study.  I use it.  But for me, i must review the word, both Russian to English, and English to Russian, 20 to 30 times....some words being more difficult than others, before i "own" the word.  Then of course there are the inflections, which may be impossible to recognize, especially spoken, until those are also reviewed.    I'm not disputing that Huligonov and many others are able to "own" words after a handful of reviews, especially if the root is familiar, and this will be the case with many multilinguals.

In my experience, Russian is a very difficult language for an English speaker, and methods like Pimsler or Rosetta stone, etc. will not enable you to converse in Russian, except maybe to express simple thoughts, but you won't be able to understand the spoken response, in my experience.

I think that only through formal university courses, can this language be tackled.  This is the only thing that worked for me.  If university classes are not offered in your area, you can look up a University that has a Russian language department, and obtain a list of the textbooks required for Russian 101, etc.
Patrick

Daniel Hall

May 20, 2011, 6:12:06 PM5/20/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
I've been studying the Russian language of and on  for several years. And thanks to the assistance, and book contributions of a former highschool Russian teacher, I am coming along slowly but surely. Thank's for the heads-up on Pimsler and other courses. I believe that university couses, though useful, are not sine qua non, if that is the proper term, to learning the language. I think the most important thing is to develop a grasp of the grammar, and its' various nuances. That is no small task. Daniel

Rich Stead

Oct 31, 2011, 2:03:30 PM10/31/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
Dear Uncle Davie and group,

(forgive my poor English it is my first language and am just a bit thick or tired?)

I just wanted to write here a few points before I move to Germany -
this is prompted, also, because I was telling a friend from my Russian class about the Google group -
and they said something along the lines of not liking the idea of sending an email other people can read - I tried to explain again in case I hadn't made it clear.
I also was checking the Huliganov pages in case I had missed any new lessons such as the much anticipated series on nouns.

Saying this reminded me that no one has written on here in awhile - I have one excuse in that over the past months learning a language would have been a luxury - anyway I am about to move to Berlin for an unknown amount of time.
At which point it was my plan to attend an intensive course in German - I would like to know what our teacher and leader (no reference to Uncle Joe there, but Uncle Davie, someone never known to send around the Народный комиссариат внутренних дел) think of these courses - coincidentally I have experience of intensive learning - with the Huliganov course - when I started my first Russian night class over a year ago - the day after lesson one, I discovered Prof Huliganov and didn't stop watching for days until I couldn't take any more in.

The other reason for writing is to ask are there any members of the Huliganov group in Berlin - it would be good, if not overly optimistic, to expect that there are, and they would like to meet up for some practise. I should be trying to speak both Russian and German - so I can start by asking here!

If there is anyone near Berlin - please get in touch - I would like to think our teacher Huliganov sometimes has work in the German capital - at which point I would like to buy him dinner. Perhaps Uncle Davie knows his schedule?

I would love to arrange a google group meeting but I'll start with just getting back to Germany first.

best wishes

Richi

Viktor D. Huliganov

Nov 1, 2011, 2:26:49 AM11/1/11
to Huliganov and friends
If you want to organize something in Berlin I will come along.
Alternatively it is five hours by train to Warsaw.

On Oct 31, 7:03 pm, Rich Stead <rich.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> >> may be impossible to recognize, especially spoken, until those are also
> >> reviewed.    I'm not disputing that Huligonov and many others are able to
> >> "own" words after a handful of reviews, especially if the root is familiar,
> >> and this will be the case with many multilinguals.
>
> >> In my experience, Russian is a very difficult language for an English
> >> speaker, and methods like Pimsler or Rosetta stone, etc. will not enable
> >> you to converse in Russian, except maybe to express simple thoughts, but
> >> you won't be able to understand the spoken response, in my experience.
>
> >> I think that only through formal university courses, can this language be
> >> tackled.  This is the only thing that worked for me.  If university classes
> >> are not offered in your area, you can look up a University that has a
> >> Russian language department, and obtain a list of the textbooks required

Rich Stead

Nov 1, 2011, 10:01:13 AM11/1/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
Dear D.J.

I would love to organise a Huliganov group meet up - my experience in these sort of things suggests a few people who want to get together but it would be very impractical and cost a lot! Our Russian group Christmas party was cancelled last year due to ice and snow - though most of the group had to work in the city (Nottingham) anyway! I tried to organise a social' instead and was told by the organiser lady the [now] tired old cliche that 'giving out personal information is against the data protection act - very much in the spirit of the season. She said she couldn't be bothered emailing the group (surely one email) to let them know there was something planned - but had already text everyone individually because of cancelled lessons.
Perhaps members of the group have seen David's video which shows a meetup of many other vloggers (is that right?) at the Sony centre in Berlin! So such meetings have been known to happen.
One just hopes to be able to afford the trip to Warsaw in the near future.
thanks for replying

Richi

Viktor D. Huliganov

Nov 13, 2011, 12:21:30 PM11/13/11
to Huliganov and friends
If anyone wants to arrange a Huliganov meet-up anywhere in the world I
will try and attend if only I can use my air-miles getting there and
can get the time off. If anyone wants to organise one let me know.
There are quite a lot of folks in the States who watch my stuff, and
if there's a geographical concentration of folks who want to bother to
organise something, then I'll happily join in the fun. Similarly if
anyone wants to organise a Goldlist methodology conference, then I'll
come and talk to people and answer questions, do language surgeries,
etc.

On 1 ноя, 15:01, Rich Stead <rich.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear D.J.
>
> I would love to organise a Huliganov group meet up - my experience in these
> sort of things suggests a few people who want to get together but it would
> be very impractical and cost a lot! Our Russian group Christmas party was
> cancelled last year due to ice and snow - though most of the group had to
> work in the city (Nottingham) anyway! I tried to organise a social' instead
> and was told by the organiser lady the [now] tired old cliche that 'giving
> out personal information is against the data protection act - very much in
> the spirit of the season. She said she couldn't be bothered emailing the
> group (surely one email) to let them know there was something planned - but
> had already text everyone individually because of cancelled lessons.
> Perhaps members of the group have seen David's video which shows a meetup
> of many other vloggers (is that right?) at the Sony centre in Berlin! So
> such meetings have been known to happen.
> One just hopes to be able to* *afford the trip to Warsaw in the near
> future.
> thanks for replying
>
> Richi
>
> 2011/11/1 Viktor D. Huliganov <jerzy.jakubow...@gmail.com>
> >http://groups.google.com/group/huliganov?hl=ru.- Скрыть цитируемый текст -
>
> - Показать цитируемый текст -

oldfor...@gmail.com

Nov 13, 2011, 5:22:35 PM11/13/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
Las Vegas!

David James

Nov 13, 2011, 6:05:18 PM11/13/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com

OK. When and where?

On 14 Nov 2011 00:02, <oldfor...@gmail.com> wrote:

Las Vegas!

If anyone wants to arrange a Huliganov meet-up anywhere in the world I

will try and attend if only ...

Only4Russian

Nov 13, 2011, 6:41:08 PM11/13/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
LOL then whatever we learn,, stays in Vegas.

Viktor D. Huliganov

Nov 25, 2011, 4:15:32 AM11/25/11
to Huliganov and friends
The title of my talk could be "Taking the gamble out of language
learning"!

On 14 ноя, 00:41, Only4Russian <only4russ...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL then whatever we learn,, stays in Vegas.
>

> On 11/13/11, David James <jerzy.jakubow...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > OK. When and where?
>

> > On 14 Nov 2011 00:02, <oldfordtru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Las Vegas!

batyaboo

Nov 27, 2011, 9:55:50 AM11/27/11
to Huliganov and friends
Well, I'm not coming to Vegas but I'm still here and still using the
Gold List Method, along with my Russian class over at my local Russian
Cultural Center. Loving learning the language!
Dena

Only4Russian

Nov 27, 2011, 2:35:42 PM11/27/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
Dena, best of luck to you! And I'm glad you are learning Russian.
Russian is the worst language I have ever tried to learn, yet I am
enjoying it the most.What is it about Russian that keeps us so
addicted?

P. C.

Nov 28, 2011, 12:16:39 AM11/28/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
That's a really good question.  Maybe it's like golf.  Impossible to truly master, except by the elite pro's .  But we are addicted to the trying???  Gluttons for ego punishment.

batyaboo

Nov 28, 2011, 4:55:44 AM11/28/11
to Huliganov and friends
I don't know. I've always loved learning other languages. I
definitely have the gift. Some people totally cannot (like my husband
who only speaks Hebrew). I find that at the ripe old age of 50 I am
thrilled and delighted to be using my learning muscles again. Not
only that. When I study Russian, it's something I can MEASURE. Know
what I mean? Every week I know more than I did the week before.
Suddenly, I understand what the checkout ladies in the supermarket are
saying. It's like - Wow! I know those words from my class or my
Goldlists. Suddenly the language becomes something real. To me it's
exciting to be able to communicate with people from a different
country in their own language. BTW we have 1.7 million Russian
speakers here in Israel. I was in the ER a couple of days ago with a
Russian guest of mine and I noticed that there are so many Russian
speaking medical personnel here. It's definitely a good language to
know around here. As for my ego - yeah, it's a bit tough on that but
all the more challenging!!! Hang in there, everyone.
One more secret - My Russian class, which takes place every week in
Tel Aviv, is the only time I get to get away from my kids for 5 hours
and be gloriously on my own!!!!! And it's all "justified" because I
need the language for my business! :-)

Shalom
Dena

On Nov 28, 7:16 am, "P. C." <11rhymesandreas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's a really good question.  Maybe it's like golf.  Impossible to truly
> master, except by the elite pro's .  But we are addicted to the trying???
> Gluttons for ego punishment.
>

> 2011/11/27 Only4Russian <only4russ...@gmail.com>

> > Dena, best of luck to you! And I'm glad you are learning Russian.
> > Russian is the worst language I have ever tried to learn, yet I am
> > enjoying it the most.What is it about Russian that keeps us so
> > addicted?

Wim Rutten

Nov 29, 2011, 3:06:38 PM11/29/11
to huli...@googlegroups.com
Привет huliganovgroup!

Также, я пристрастился к русскому языку. Здесь, в Netherlands я одинокая

С Мужествен мы узнаем русский язык.
До свидания
Wim
In Russian I try to say: I am also addicted to the Russian language. I
feel lonely in the Netherlands (My country).
With good courage we learn the Russian language.
Wim