August meeting: Wednesday - 27th at 7:30 PM

1 view

Jon

Aug 21, 2008, 7:10:07 PM8/21/08
to Vancouver Haskell Programmers Group
Hi everyone,

This month we're meeting at the Microsoft Canada Development Center in
Richmond. At the July meeting, Alexey Kamenev mentioned that he could
probably secure a conference room for our group meeting, where he
worked at Microsoft. So thanks out to Alexey and Microsoft for making
this happen!

The conference room will have a projector and whiteboard available.
Yay! Drinks are available at the office and we are free bring our own
food if preferring more than snack machine fare.

I'll bring my laptop and give a short demo comparing Haskell data
serialisation to ByteString using the Binary class with the simpler
but lower performing method of serialising to String with the Read and
Show classes. For anyone else desiring to give a short presentation
or demo about Haskell stuff they're working with, please feel free!

The Microsoft office is located at 13511 Commerce Parkway in Richmond,
just a bit off of No. 6 road. Alexey provided an ariel view picture
of the office location with an arrow showing the building entrance:
http://groups.google.ca/group/hugvan/web/MS-office-location.png

We'll plan to meet at the front entrance around 7:30 PM. If anyone
doesn't make it in time and we're already in the building, you can
give me a call to be let in. (604) 813-1254. I'm coming from downtown
Vancouver, so if anyone in the downtown area needs a lift, I can pick
them up as well.

Cheers,
Jon

activey

Aug 21, 2008, 8:08:51 PM8/21/08
to Vancouver Haskell Programmers Group
Hi,

What's the level of Haskell knowledge expected in the meeting? Could I
attend this meeting if I just start learning Haskell?

Thanks,
Arthur

Jon

Aug 21, 2008, 8:47:23 PM8/21/08
to Vancouver Haskell Programmers Group
Sure! If you've found your way to this group, that's more than enough
to attend. It's an informal group and no one should feel obligated to
even introduce themselves unless they'd like to. You can just come
and listen in or maybe have a few questions in mind to ask someone.

-Jon