Linux on Chromebook -> assert ""cr"" failed in wxPaintDCImpl(): using wxPaintDC without being in a native paint event

Harry van der Wolf

May 19, 2024, 4:37:09 AMMay 19
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am currently using an i5 Chromebook with the default Linux container available for the Chromebook. The linux version is Debian and on the lsterst patches.
uname -a
Linux penguin 6.6.21-01327-gc9107f2d4947 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Wed, 10 Apr 2024 00:40:09 +0000 x86_64 GNU/Linux
hvdwolf@penguin:~$ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Debian
Release:        12
Codename:       bookworm

I just wanted to try Hugin once more.
I have the latest release for Debian bookworm installed being 2022.0.0+dfsg-2.
I also tried the latest Hugin app image which is not new or latest at all as it is Hugin_Panorama_Creator-2019.0.0-20190407-x86_64.AppImage
Both crash with the same error.
Attached one of the crash logs.

My other, old chromebook has an intel celeron n4120 and is also on the latest Chromebook and Debian bookworm version and encounters the same issue.

I found some topics where it is advised to use some "Refresh(); Update();" statements. Being completely ignorant of C++/wx_widgets nowadays, I don't know if that is valid in this case.

Please consider this as low priority. I just wanted to try once more with Hugin.
It might just be nice if Hugin would also run on Chromebooks with Linux.

Best,
Harry
hugin_crash_log.txt

T. Modes

May 19, 2024, 4:48:45 AMMay 19
Hi Harry,

This is already fixed in the repository.

Thomas

Harry van der Wolf

May 19, 2024, 5:28:50 AMMay 19
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Thomas,

Thanks, it is good to know it has already been fixed although there is no 2024 build yet..
The wxwidgets versions on my Chromebook debian linux bookworm version are:
apt list --installed | grep -i wx

libwxbase3.2-1/stable,now 3.2.2+dfsg-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libwxgtk-gl3.2-1/stable,now 3.2.2+dfsg-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libwxgtk-webview3.2-1/stable,now 3.2.2+dfsg-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
libwxgtk3.2-1/stable,now 3.2.2+dfsg-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]

So I assume this "error" was introduced as of wxwidgets 3.2.x

I don't know yet whether I want to setup a complete dev environment to compile a fresh Hugin.
Like said: I just wanted to try once more.

I was wrong though about the app images. I thought the latest would be on top, but the latest is the bottom one: Hugin_Panorama_Creator-git-20210522-x86_64.AppImage, but it is still old.
That one does work, but the screen handling is terribly slow. CP finding, aligning, stitching, etcetera works full speed.

Harry

Op zo 19 mei 2024 om 10:48 schreef 'T. Modes' via hugin and other free panoramic software <hugi...@googlegroups.com>:
--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ