Is there a tutorial for stitching dual lens photos?

CarbonMan

Apr 9, 2019, 9:05:44 PM4/9/19
I have a Samsung Gear 360. I would like to convert an image into a skybox. How do I go about doing that? I have only used Hugin for stitching when there were multiple images that needed to be stitched together. In this case there are 2 images within the 1 picture.

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Apr 9, 2019, 9:20:56 PM4/9/19
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that Hugin caters for that. But the solution is simple:
crop the image twice to extract the individual images, then stitch
them.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger groo...@gmail.com for PGP public key.

CarbonMan

Apr 10, 2019, 3:51:41 AM4/10/19
Thanks I'll give it a go.

Bruno Postle

Apr 10, 2019, 7:12:31 AM4/10/19
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
To be clear, you can do this cropping within Hugin, no need to use an image editor. Just load the file twice in a single Hugin project, and set the 'crop circle' differently for each. Everything else works as normal.

--
Bruno

T. Modes

Apr 10, 2019, 1:21:50 PM4/10/19

Am Mittwoch, 10. April 2019 13:12:31 UTC+2 schrieb Bruno Postle:
To be clear, you can do this cropping within Hugin, no need to use an image editor. Just load the file twice in a single Hugin project, and set the 'crop circle' differently for each. Everything else works as normal.

Or you load the image only once and use the "assistant for dual lens images".

Thomas

Eesger

Jun 2, 2019, 1:24:07 PM6/2/19
Where can I find that option : "assistant for dual lens images" ?

I bought a YI 360 camera and would like to learn how to use Hugin.. here is an example image from my camera:

Could you (or someone else) show me towards a "dummy how to" or something? Hugin is quite overwhelming.. and I can't make heads or tales of it..

T. Modes

Jun 2, 2019, 2:15:26 PM6/2/19

Am Sonntag, 2. Juni 2019 19:24:07 UTC+2 schrieb Eesger:
Where can I find that option : "assistant for dual lens images" ?
You find this option in the panorama editor, menu Edit>User defined assistant>Assistant for dual lens images

I bought a YI 360 camera and would like to learn how to use Hugin.. here is an example image from my camera:

Could you (or someone else) show me towards a "dummy how to" or something? Hugin is quite overwhelming.. and I can't make heads or tales of it..

For this image this assistant will not work. It assumes that the image file is landscape and the image circles are horizontal side by side.
In your example the image circle are vertically stacked - or did you rotate the file?
I'm attaching an user defined assistant for this use case. Copy the file to the user data location described here https://wiki.panotools.org/User_defined_output_sequence_and_user_defined_assistant
After restarting Hugin you will find an assistant for dual lens images (vertical) in the menu mentioned above.

duallens_vertical.assistant

Eesger

Jun 3, 2019, 3:30:13 PM6/3/19
I had no idea where to ask it and found these two spots, so I guessed let's try both ;)

No, that was the original raw file (vertical stacked) and yes, awesome your custom assistant worked perfectly! Thank you very much!

I now know that my YI lenses aren't perfectly set in the housing. One is set to Yaw/Pitch/Roll as 0/0/0 and the other image (the bottom one) is set to -178.6/-3.8/-0.4 (expected 180/0/0)

Now figure out how to do this via command line on a folder full of JPG files on my Ubuntu testserver and I'm in business
(I dare not to ask ;) )

Bare Pixels

Jun 3, 2019, 5:10:44 PM6/3/19
advise you to make a test shoot where there are details all around such as inside a church or warehouse with high ceiling.  make it easier to get control points all around to calibrate.

T. Modes

Jun 4, 2019, 10:51:56 AM6/4/19

Am Montag, 3. Juni 2019 21:30:13 UTC+2 schrieb Eesger:
Now figure out how to do this via command line on a folder full of JPG files on my Ubuntu testserver and I'm in business
(I dare not to ask ;) )
In principle it should work in this way
1) Create initial pto file:
pto_gen -o project.pto image.jpg

2) Run assistant
hugin_executor --assistant --user-defined-assistant=duallens_vertical.assistant project.pto

3) Stitching
hugin_executor --stitching project.pto

But it this case also creating a template from a scene with more details - as Bare Pixel recommends - should work. The example image has only details on the solar panel on the small house. The other side are only foliage which is not so good for creating the template. So you would need another image and create the template (and finetune in the GUI).

Then the workflow would be
1) Create pto file (you need to specify the image twice)
pto_gen -o project.pto image.jpg image.jpg

2) Apply template
pto_template --template=template.pto --output=project.pto project.pto

3) Stitch
hugin_executor --stitching project.pto

If the internal blend works for your use case, this can be done more simple with an one-liner:
nona -m TIFF template.pto image.jpg image.jpg