is "downscale final pano = 70% of max width" overriden by "calculate optimal size"?

Fotis K

Jan 22, 2023, 5:29:57 AM1/22/23
After all these years of using hugin I discovered that I never set the option downscale final pano from 70% to 100% in the preferenecs.

However I always click calculate optimal size right before the final stitching. Does this mean that I am squeezing as much detail as possible from my original photos or do I walk away leaving ...resolution... on the table because of the 70% setting?

Bruno Postle

Jan 22, 2023, 6:25:21 AM1/22/23
On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, 10:30 Fotis K, wrote:
After all these years of using hugin I discovered that I never set the option downscale final pano from 70% to 100% in the preferenecs.

However I always click calculate optimal size right before the final stitching.

This 'calculate optimal size' function uses the 70% default. The rationale is that digital cameras produce redundant pixels due to Bayes sampling in the CCD, so for most users there is no loss (and the files are half the size).

If you are sourcing images from another source: scanning, or the output from another Hugin project, it might be worth setting it to 100%

--
Bruno

Fotis K

Jan 22, 2023, 9:15:59 AM1/22/23
thank you Bruno, interesting information! i’m reading that the green channel has more resolution - i wonder how this translates in my case: for my workflow i’m batch developing the raw files of my camera into 16bit tiffs that i then use as input for hugin. to be honest the few times i did compare the partial tiff’s to the hugin mosaic at 1:1 i didn’t notice any detail loss.

Bruno Postle

Jan 22, 2023, 11:55:33 AM1/22/23
On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, 14:16 Fotis K wrote:
thank you Bruno, interesting information! i’m reading that the green channel has more resolution - i wonder how this translates in my case: for my workflow i’m batch developing the raw files of my camera into 16bit tiffs that i then use as input for hugin.

The green channel has 70% resolution, the red and blue have 50% (with the standard Bayer pattern). Everything else is interpolated by the RAW software.

But this 70% is just a good default that is appropriate for most users, you should check with your own pictures, and set it to 100% if you have any concerns.

--
Bruno

T. Modes

Jan 22, 2023, 1:38:34 PM1/22/23
bruno...gmail.com schrieb am Sonntag, 22. Januar 2023 um 12:25:21 UTC+1:
This 'calculate optimal size' function uses the 70% default.

The calculate optimal size button is using by default no additional scaling factor.  (So it ignores this setting. Except you hold the control button.)
The downscale factor of 70 % is on the assistant tab in the preferences. This indicates that this setting is only used by the assistant.

Thomas

Bruno Postle

Jan 22, 2023, 2:43:50 PM1/22/23
On Sun, 22 Jan 2023, 18:38 T. Modes, wrote:

The calculate optimal size button is using by default no additional scaling factor.  (So it ignores this setting. Except you hold the control button.)
The downscale factor of 70 % is on the assistant tab in the preferences. This indicates that this setting is only used by the assistant.

Thanks, my memory must be failing me ;) I thought this option predates the assistant.

--
Bruno

Greg 'groggy' Lehey

Jan 22, 2023, 6:04:01 PM1/22/23
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
The missing quote (now added) confused me. I think you're saying what
I have observed: by default the pano is scaled to 70%, but "calculate
optimal size" sets it to 100%. Right?

Thanks for the hint about the preferences.

Greg
--
Sent from my desktop computer.
Finger groo...@gmail.com for PGP public key.