Build instructions for GPU support and multiprocessing?

Tommy Hughes

Mar 24, 2023, 3:41:06 PM3/24/23
What is the status of GPU support and multiprocessing in hugin and enblend?
I've read a lot of stuff on the subject but I can't tell what is current or out of date. The hugin version from the ubuntu repo seems very slow and does not appear to be using the gpu or multirprocessing. So, I want to build hugin and enblend, and enable those options, if possible.

Cheers.

David W. Jones

Mar 24, 2023, 8:20:23 PM3/24/23
to hugin-ptx
Hmm. Running Debian 11 here, I have enblend 4.2, and it uses every core
on my i9 CPU. Under Preferences > Stitching (2), Hugin has Number of
threads set to 0, for automatic detection.

Using Hugin Version: Pre-Release 2021.1.0.33b93e37f209.

The only point where Hugin uses a GPU is when remapping images. That's
controlled under Preferences > Programs > Nona, Use GPU for remapping.

My laptop has both Intel Intel and Nvidia graphics. Apparently that's
controlled through the update-glx setting, but I haven't tried
switching to the Nvidia to see if it's any faster.

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com

David W. Jones

Mar 24, 2023, 8:34:29 PM3/24/23
to hugin-ptx
On 3/24/23 14:20, David W. Jones wrote:
On 3/24/23 09:41, Tommy Hughes wrote:
[...]

Well, I did some testing, and it looks like no matter what I set the GLX provider for, Hugin still uses only the UHD630. Oh, well!

chaosjug

Mar 25, 2023, 4:55:51 PM3/25/23
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
> > Hmm. Running Debian 11 here, I have enblend 4.2, and it uses every
> > core on my i9 CPU. Under Preferences > Stitching (2), Hugin has Number
> > of threads set to 0, for automatic detection.
> >
> > Using Hugin Version: Pre-Release 2021.1.0.33b93e37f209.
> >
> > The only point where Hugin uses a GPU is when remapping images. That's
> > controlled under Preferences > Programs > Nona, Use GPU for remapping.
> >
> > My laptop has both Intel Intel and Nvidia graphics. Apparently that's
> > controlled through the update-glx setting, but I haven't tried
> > switching to the Nvidia to see if it's any faster.
>
> Well, I did some testing, and it looks like no matter what I set the GLX
> provider for, Hugin still uses only the UHD630. Oh, well!

Depending whether you are using the nouveau or the proprietary drivers try
setting DRI_PRIME=1 or use prime-select.

$ DRI_PRIME=0 nona -g -o test.tif test.pto
nona: using graphics card: Intel Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000 (SNB GT1)

$ DRI_PRIME=1 nona -g -o test.tif test.pto
nona: using graphics card: nouveau NVC1

Cheers

David W. Jones

Mar 25, 2023, 11:55:43 PM3/25/23
to hugin-ptx
Thanks. I have the proprietary drivers. How would I apply the above to
using nona from Hugin?

chaosjug

Mar 26, 2023, 5:47:48 AM3/26/23
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Am Sonntag, 26. März 2023, 05:55:37 CEST schrieb David W. Jones:

> >> Well, I did some testing, and it looks like no matter what I set the GLX
> >> provider for, Hugin still uses only the UHD630. Oh, well!
> >
> > Depending whether you are using the nouveau or the proprietary drivers try
> > setting DRI_PRIME=1 or use prime-select.
> >
> > $ DRI_PRIME=0 nona -g -o test.tif test.pto
> > nona: using graphics card: Intel Mesa Intel(R) HD Graphics 2000 (SNB GT1)
> >
> > $ DRI_PRIME=1 nona -g -o test.tif test.pto
> > nona: using graphics card: nouveau NVC1
> >
> > Cheers
>
> Thanks. I have the proprietary drivers. How would I apply the above to
> using nona from Hugin?

I'm not sure about prime-select as I don't use it. But for nouveau drivers its
you just start Hugin that way:
$ DRI_PRIME=1 hugin

David W. Jones

Mar 27, 2023, 12:45:35 AM3/27/23
to hugin-ptx
Hugin log reports unable to create DRI screen, that's looking for the
Nouveau drivers (which I don't have).

Trying to use prime-select, that just reports command not found. Guess
it's only for the Nouveau drivers.