Hugin output losing sharpness/resolution compared to input files? Reasons?

Fotis Kalafatis

Sep 9, 2021, 7:19:07 AM9/9/21
I've been using hugin quite some time to "digitize" paintings in higher resolution than my camera sensor allows. I just realized that my latest mosaic (tiff) has considerably lower fidelity/resolution/sharpness compared to the partial tiles (16bit tiff) throughout the image. the Hugins gui loads the images in their proper resolution since it appears fine at 100% in the "control points" preview window. My source images are all from the same 16mpx sensor, shot from the same distance, with minimal perspective distortion.
I always chose "calculate optimal size" and assumed it would squeeze from it as many megapixels as possible. Now I'm baffled. I can't verify whether this had always been the case since I don't keep the originals.

Any idea why this might be happening and where I should look for the culprit?
Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 13.56.19.pngScreen Shot 2021-09-09 at 13.56.11.png

Fotis Kalafatis

Sep 9, 2021, 10:10:00 AM9/9/21
as soon as I posted, I decided to reopen the project in hugin, play a bit more with the "cropping" to shake things up, re-ding "calculate optimal size" and finally pressed "Stitch!" again, and the new file, despite being the same dimensions  as the older output (~8500x13000px) is perfectly sharp this time!

I wonder where that glitch(?) came from; any thoughts are appreciated!

Bruno Postle

Sep 12, 2021, 1:18:37 PM9/12/21
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
The 'calculate optimal size' function is initially run by the Assistant, but after that it has to be run manually. So even if you make lots of changes to the panorama, such as changing the overall field of view, the pixel width of the output doesn't get updated dynamically.

--
Bruno

Fotis Kalafatis

Sep 14, 2021, 1:07:13 AM9/14/21
thank you Bruno!

I make it a habit that “calculate optimal size” is the very last button that I press before pressing “Stitch!” but what can I say; maybe I missed it that day; hence the issue!