Re-arrange image order to fix "blackout" sections

Rich MacDonald

Oct 7, 2022, 11:29:26 AM10/7/22
On very large renders (>15K pixels/side), I often see hugin "skipping" an image or two and leaving a blank space.

Example at https://photos.app.goo.gl/sEqkSeJbqYSGBGTb8

Rendering at lower resolution fixes the problem.

At full resolution, by trial and error I re-arrange the order of the images and keep trying until I get lucky with a version without blanks. Sometimes a single re-arrange works. Sometimes a re-arrange just causes a blank somewhere else.

This isn't a new problem. I've been running into it for many years. Anyone have a better suggestion of how to deal with it?

Windows platform. Latest release. Plenty of RAM and CPU.

Luís Henrique Camargo Quiroz

Oct 7, 2022, 12:00:19 PM10/7/22
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

   Hi Rich,

   Some ideas that can help:
   1 - use enblend with the option --primary-seam-generator=nearest-feature-transform, this maybe is the best solution in general,
   2 - see if you can modify the amount of superposition between images (use masks to "cut" and shape excess superposition)
   3 - maybe enblend with --pre-assemble (can be used with solution 1) can help too.

   Now I rarely face this problem, I hope these ideas help you too!

   bye,

   Luís Henrique

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

Gunter Königsmann

Oct 7, 2022, 3:01:33 PM10/7/22
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, Luís Henrique Camargo Quiroz
Multiblend should also help.

Rich MacDonald

Oct 8, 2022, 12:47:53 AM10/8/22
Thanks for the suggestions:

1) No luck on   --primary-seam-generator=nearest-feature-transform. Did not change anything.

2) No luck with or without  --pre-assemble.

3) Always wanted to try multiblend. Never found adequate instructions for running in windows. Tried and failed several times over the last decade.

On Friday, October 7, 2022 at 2:01:33 PM UTC-5 gunter.ko...@gmail.com wrote:
Multiblend should also help.

David W. Jones

Oct 8, 2022, 2:02:53 AM10/8/22
to hugi...@googlegroups.com, Rich MacDonald
Probably not much help to anyone, but the only times I've encountered
blacked-out sections were:

1. When I was getting too intricate with inclusion and exclusion masks.
They were particularly problematic when close to each other.

2. When masks on different images overlap.

3. When watching a stitch run, the log would report a picture not being
blended. The blend would go fine, I'd note the stitch log's message
about the photo not being part of the set, or being a duplicate, and
remove the seeming duplicate. Then I would sometimes get a blacked out
section. It makes me think sometimes enblend isn't entirely correct when
it reports *not* blending an image.

This is all with enblend. I've never tried multiblend or felt any need
to use it.

I use Linux, so can't help if it's Windows-specific.
> __
> Multiblend should also help.

--
David W. Jones