enblend having trouble with iPhone profile?

John Muccigrosso

Sep 11, 2020, 6:59:46 PM9/11/20
Working on a mosaic of photos taken with my iPhone and I run into an error at the stitching phase. enblend reports the following:

enblend: error building color transform from XYZ space to " Apple Wide Color Sharing Profile"

If I switch to the builtin stitcher, all is well.

Any way to avoid this? I would be happy with the output using another, similar profile.

TIA

PS It took my four tries to set the prefs correctly so that Hugin used the builtin. The problem? The prefs set the default, but the actual is directly on the stitcher tab. It's true that the pref says this, but it's a weird way to handle this to my mind. Why wouldn't changing the default change the setting on the tab? I'd expect it to. Frankly I wouldn't expect the settings to be in both places. Let me change it on the tab, sure, but reset it to the default every time I open a new project or change the default.

David W. Jones

Sep 11, 2020, 11:42:57 PM9/11/20
to hugin-ptx
On 9/11/20 12:59 PM, John Muccigrosso wrote:
> Working on a mosaic of photos taken with my iPhone and I run into an
> error at the stitching phase. enblend reports the following:
>

> enblend: error building color transform from XYZ space to " Apple Wide
> Color Sharing Profile"
> |

> If I switch to the builtin stitcher, all is well.
>
> Any way to avoid this? I would be happy with the output using another,
> similar profile.

The question occurs to me - is that profile iPhone proprietary? Can your
phone be set to use a more standard color profile like sRGB?

> TIA
>
> PS It took my four tries to set the prefs correctly so that Hugin used
> the builtin. The problem? The prefs set the default, but the actual is
> directly on the stitcher tab. It's true that the pref says this, but
> it's a weird way to handle this to my mind. Why wouldn't changing the
> default change the setting on the tab? I'd expect it to. Frankly I
> wouldn't expect the settings to be in both places. Let me change it on
> the tab, sure, but reset it to the default every time I open a new
> project or change the default.

I think Hugin also says on the screen where you set the default that it
only applies to NEW projects. It doesn't change pre-existing projects.
So of course you're going to have to change that setting in previous
projects.

Anyway, hope that helps.

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com

jmuc...@gmail.com

Sep 16, 2020, 5:43:36 AM9/16/20
On Saturday, 12 September 2020 at 05:42:57 UTC+2 GnomeNomad wrote:
On 9/11/20 12:59 PM, John Muccigrosso wrote:
> Working on a mosaic of photos taken with my iPhone and I run into an
> error at the stitching phase. enblend reports the following:
>

> enblend: error building color transform from XYZ space to " Apple Wide
> Color Sharing Profile"
> |

> If I switch to the builtin stitcher, all is well.
>
> Any way to avoid this? I would be happy with the output using another,
> similar profile.

The question occurs to me - is that profile iPhone proprietary? Can your
phone be set to use a more standard color profile like sRGB?

I don't think I can change the color profile on exported iPhone pictures. No idea if it's proprietary, but it's gotta be on a lot of photos out there. :-)

I can presumably change it before I put the images into hugin, but since one of the stitchers can handle it and the other can't, I figure it's a problem that can be worked around.

> PS It took my four tries to set the prefs correctly so that Hugin used
> the builtin. The problem? The prefs set the default, but the actual is
> directly on the stitcher tab. It's true that the pref says this, but
> it's a weird way to handle this to my mind. Why wouldn't changing the
> default change the setting on the tab? I'd expect it to. Frankly I
> wouldn't expect the settings to be in both places. Let me change it on
> the tab, sure, but reset it to the default every time I open a new
> project or change the default.

I think Hugin also says on the screen where you set the default that it
only applies to NEW projects. It doesn't change pre-existing projects.
So of course you're going to have to change that setting in previous
projects.

Yeah, I figured out that it didn't work the way I expected. I guess for me the issue is that it works in an odd way and I've been trying to figure out what it is exactly. Maybe because the option (not the default) is on the page instead of in a menu? Not sure really, just took me a few tries to figure it out.

Lukas Jirkovsky

Sep 16, 2020, 7:49:32 AM9/16/20
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 12 Sep 2020 at 00:59, John Muccigrosso <jmuc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Working on a mosaic of photos taken with my iPhone and I run into an error at the stitching phase. enblend reports the following:
>
> enblend: error building color transform from XYZ space to " Apple Wide Color Sharing Profile"

The problem is that the Apples color profile is apparently missing the
conversion matrices required for the conversion to the profile.
Essentially that means you can convert from the Apple Wide Color
Sharing Profile, but you cannot convert to it. See LittleCMS issue
#188 [1].

If the input images have the same profile, enblend keeps the profile
for the output, too. The enblend itself operates in the CIELUV
colorspace when the input images use the same profile, so it needs to
convert both from and to the original profile. Because of the
limitation of the Apple profile this is not possible in your case.

I think the best option regarding keeping the color information
correct is to convert the input images to a different profile that has
similar or larger color coverage. I can't find the coverage of the
"Apple Wide Color Sharing Profile" so I can't tell what standard color
profile would be best, but I would start with the "Adobe Wide Gamut
RGB".

[1] https://github.com/mm2/Little-CMS/issues/188