Confused about Assistant queue and automation

Tommy Hughes

Jul 26, 2022, 11:34:39 AM7/26/22
Hello, I am trying to automate the whole pipeline, and I know how to use the Batch processor for stitching, but I am particularly confused about the Assistant queue and what it does.

The manual says:
"The Batch Processor can also queue the creation of the final project. In this case it runs the same steps as in the Hugin Assistant tab."

The Assistant tab has
1. Load images (already done?)
2. Align
3. Create panorama

Does this mean that the assistant queue is only performing the Align step? (and also the Create Panorama step if the Automatic stitch option is chosen on the Batch Processor)   Or are there other, undocumented steps?

In the Batch Processor document it says
"Just create several project files (do everything and just skip the export step), load them in the batch processor and start the process."

But there is no export step; should that say stitch?

I assume that before sending to Assistant queue I must choose the options in the Stitcher tab first. Do I need to do any other steps, like find control points, or photometric optimisation, or does it do that in the Assistant queue, and are the options set by that in the Photos tab?

Many thanks
Tommy

T. Modes

Jul 26, 2022, 12:13:30 PM7/26/22
irthoma...@gmail.com schrieb am Dienstag, 26. Juli 2022 um 17:34:39 UTC+2:
Does this mean that the assistant queue is only performing the Align step? (and also the Create Panorama step if the Automatic stitch option is chosen on the Batch Processor)   Or are there other, undocumented steps?
Yes, it is the first one. There are no undocumented steps.

In the Batch Processor document it says
"Just create several project files (do everything and just skip the export step), load them in the batch processor and start the process."

But there is no export step; should that say stitch?
Correct, it should say stitch. This file is heavy outdated. It needs an update.

I assume that before sending to Assistant queue I must choose the options in the Stitcher tab first. Do I need to do any other steps, like find control points, or photometric optimisation, or does it do that in the Assistant queue, and are the options set by that in the Photos tab?
 No, the options for the assistant are set in the preferences dialog. The settings on the photos tab are ignored by the assistant.
The assistant does all steps (control point searching, geometric optimization, photometric optimization, setting output options) which are necessary after loading the images and before creating/stitching the final panorama.

Tommy Hughes

Jul 31, 2022, 3:05:19 PM7/31/22
Thank you for clearing that up. One follow up question, is there a way to add horizon correction step to the batched projects?

David W. Jones

Jul 31, 2022, 5:58:39 PM7/31/22
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Horizontal correction? You mean like leveling horizons?

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com

Sent from my Android device with F/LOSS K-9 Mail.

irthoma...@gmail.com

Aug 1, 2022, 6:36:34 AM8/1/22
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's what I meant, thanks.

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ
---

David W. Jones

Aug 1, 2022, 3:02:52 PM8/1/22
to hugi...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, that's what I thought you meant.

Hugin can detect vertical lines, so I've always wondered why it doesn't have a "detect horizontal lines" function, since (conceptually) the functions are the same, just using a 90° rotation and detect vertical lines.

I've tried, using rotated images, but get bogged down figuring out how to rotate the resulting vertical lines to horizontal while keeping the correct end points.