Why does my system try to open plain text files in Hugin?

David W. Jones

Apr 9, 2024, 3:37:57 AMApr 9
to hugin-ptx

On my Debian Bookworm system running XFCE, somehow Hugin has been set as the "Default" application for a whole pile of file types that belong to other applications. Examples: application/ecmascript, application/kdenlivelayout, application/mathematica, application/pgp-keys, etc, etc.

But the big functional problem is that double clicking a plain text file (such as "filename.txt") tries to open it in Hugin.

I'm using Hugin compiled locally.

Using the XFCE default applications tool for assigning applications to types doesn't let me reset; changing any of them to what they should be just sets it to "Default", which is Hugin.

Ideas????

--
David W. Jones
gnome...@gmail.com

Carl von Einem

Apr 9, 2024, 7:03:21 AMApr 9
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi David,

have a look at the settings dialog for standard applications. There is a
tab for "different" applications.

Cheers,

Carl

(I run my Mac with Xubuntu which also uses  XFCE)

Carl von Einem

Apr 9, 2024, 7:11:52 AMApr 9
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
The Settings Manager
<https://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-settings/4.16/manager> has a
"Personal" area that shows "Preferred Applications". I think that`s
where you can change those "Default" applications (third tab).

Carl

David W. Jones

Apr 10, 2024, 5:26:24 AMApr 10
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Carl, for the advice. I have XFCE 4.14. It didn't let me change
the applications at all. So I figured out how to get in as root and run
an XFCE session from there. Sorted out other XFCE settings (I'd never
run XFCE as root on this system before), checked what applications
showed for each under root. A LOT fewer, and no trace of Hugin anywhere.

Then I exited the root XFCE session, restarted the computer, logged in
to my user XFCE session - and everything was fine. Back to normal.

Computers are weird! 😉

On 4/9/24 01:11, 'Carl von Einem' via hugin and other free panoramic