Screenshots: "No or only partial information about field of view"

raywood

May 25, 2022, 9:17:01 AM5/25/22
I am new to Hugin. I run its Panorama editor. In its Simple interface, I click Load Images. I add a set of JPGs. These are overlapping screenshots of a webpage as I scrolled. Scrollbars and other panorama-unfriendly elements have been cropped.

When I add the JPGs, I get a dialog that says this:

> No or only partial information about field of view was found in image file [filename]
> Please enter the horizontal field of view (HFOV) or the focal length and crop factor.

I'm not sure what those values would be.

What's the best way to use Hugin with screenshots?

johnfi...@gmail.com

May 25, 2022, 10:28:43 AM5/25/22
On Wednesday, May 25, 2022 at 9:17:01 AM UTC-4 raywood wrote:

> Please enter the horizontal field of view (HFOV) or the focal length and crop factor.

I'm not sure what those values would be.

What's the best way to use Hugin with screenshots?

A Panorama in the real world represents a curved surface.  The HFOV is important in managing that.

You want a panorama of a flat surface.  I don't know if there is a better way, but specifying a very small HFOV should eliminate almost all of the curvature from the computed surface.

Additionally, you want to stitch a  "mosaic" (the position of the point of view changes, rather than the angles), so when you "optimize" (compute image relative positions to fit control points) you want to work primarily (or maybe entirely) with "translation" X and Y, rather than the yaw and pitch that are used for ordinary panoramas.

I never use the Simple interface, so I don't recall how you select optimize on just translation X and Y in that interface.  It is quite obvious in the expert interface.

Bruno Postle

May 25, 2022, 11:23:51 AM5/25/22
Hi Ray, this is an old tutorial, but the technique is the same, basically you can use whatever field of view you like within reason: https://hugin.sourceforge.io/tutorials/scans/

Also, there are easier ways to do this, in Firefox I can right-click a web page and save the entire thing as an image without scrollbars.

--
Bruno