Can criteria be a % overlap instead of using control points?

Cheryl Sanchez

Feb 6, 2023, 5:06:19 AM2/6/23
Hi! I have drone footage, and the photos were programmed to be taken with a 70% forward overlap per transect. There are a  lot of photos per transect. I want to create a 'panoramic' with this footage, but can't figure out if I can use that as a criteria (70% overlap) for the panorama to be made instead of using control points. Is this possible?

Thanks so much,
Cheryl

Saleh Saeed

Feb 9, 2023, 1:41:21 AM2/9/23
to hugi...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

One of the basic assumption for capturing pictures to be used to make a panorama is that the center of camera is located at the same place while the camera is rotated around its center/axis. (rotational motion is acceptable but no translational motion)

With the forward overlap, the center of the camera has different locations for each picture (this is similar to pictures captured with a stereo camera). So you can use softwares designed for stereoscopy (for example COLMAP) to create a 3D model from your pictures.

In hugin, you can manually select control points between a pair of overlapping images but it won't help in your case since Hugin can not deal with stereo images.

BR,
Saleh

--
A list of frequently asked questions is available at: http://wiki.panotools.org/Hugin_FAQ