Fiddler: How to get time taken to finish loading a webpage

Corey Ferrier

Sep 14, 2017, 12:47:24 PM9/14/17
to Fiddler

When connecting to a webpage, there are many connections that take place. By highlighting all of the connections, I can see the session clock duration and aggregate time duration as well as overall elapsed. How can I use a script to sift the the .saz file to look for the xml portion of each session and then computer the elapsed time? Let's say there are 5 sessions that are associated with the same process of opening one web page. All 5 sessions take place sequentially but to get elapsed time I must add up the start and stop time of each. How can I get a script to recognize that these 5 sessions are all attributed to the same webpage opening and not separate entities with their own elapsed time, but instead need to be added up together to get how long it took for the entire webpage to finish loading

Eric Lawrence

Sep 14, 2017, 5:27:03 PM9/14/17
to Fiddler
> How can I get a script to recognize that these 5 sessions are all attributed to the same webpage opening

This is a non-trivial problem for a proxy. You can often use the ProcessID the Referer header on a request to recognize that it was related to a given page load, but this doesn't always work, especially for complicated pages.

In general, you should consider using other tools (e.g. the Timeline tab in the browser's developer tools) to be looking at aggregated metrics like Page Load.