ie doesn't work without fiddler.

Andrew Lopukhov

May 8, 2016, 2:27:44 PM5/8/16
to Fiddler
Good day. I use fiddler for debugging my apps' http traffic. Recently I noticed that ie doesn't work without running fiddler. Also ie doesn't work without fiddler capturing traffic. (by "not working" I mean can't load any web-page) Where is the problem? How can I solve it?
I use ie as my primary browser so it is a problem for me.
System is win 10 x64)

P.S. Sorry for my English))

Eric Lawrence

May 9, 2016, 1:39:34 PM5/9/16
to Fiddler
When Fiddler isn't running, open Internet Explorer.
In IE, click Tools > Internet Options > Connections. Click the LAN Settings button.
Clear all of the boxes and click Ok.

Andrew Lopukhov

May 10, 2016, 5:41:40 AM5/10/16
to Fiddler
unfortunatelly it doesn't help
Безымянный.png

Eric Lawrence

May 10, 2016, 1:48:11 PM5/10/16
to Fiddler
If you don't see proxy settings pointed at Fiddler, then Fiddler isn't the problem.

What exactly do you see in your browser when you attempt to connect to a non-secure site (e.g. http://example.com) when Fiddler isn't running?

Do you have a firewall installed? If so, which one? Have you changed its configuration settings in any way?

Andrew Lopukhov

May 11, 2016, 10:12:07 PM5/11/16
to Fiddler
After some strange magic IE started working (the stupidest solution I forgot to try: if anything doesn't work - just reinstall it).
now problem remains only in Edge browser) I don't use Edge, so this is not the problem for me. But still, this is an interesing question.

I don't have a firewall.
When attempting to open any site in Edge I see this:

I've reseted all configurations I've found and even reinstalled Edge as described for example here http://www.techtantri.com/how-to-reinstall-microsoft-edge-browser/
Looks like setting fiddler as proxy just fix my Edge's bug. If i'll find out the reason I will post it)

Andrew Lopukhov

May 11, 2016, 10:33:07 PM5/11/16
to Fiddler
yep. This is really strange. I can access lan hosts with Edge (for example load router's settings web-page), but not the Web. At the same time all other apps acts normally.
I guess, as it was said, this bug has no connection with Fiddler.

P.S. thanks for your help, Eric.
And hey, thanks Fiddler team. Without your great programm debugging apps' networking would be much more complex)

EricLaw

May 12, 2016, 11:14:51 AM5/12/16
to Fiddler
Andrew--

That behavior suggests that there's a problem in the configuration of either the firewall or the AppContainer permissions for the Edge process, such that it has the LocalIntranet permission but not the Internet permission.

Windows has a firewall built in; if you use Services.msc to temporarily disable the Windows Firewall service, does Edge have any problems navigating to Internet sites?

-E

Andrew Lopukhov

May 20, 2016, 9:18:24 AM5/20/16
to Fiddler
nope) After another searching I noticed that I can access Inetrnet via ip adresses with some restrictions. (ip adresses i tested earlier use redirect to dns name, so I faced the same problem and haven't find out it)
More details here (my post at microsoft answers):
and here:
Microsoft community help is as always great)) Solution: ask at msdn.

Eric Lawrence

May 20, 2016, 9:22:59 AM5/20/16
to Fiddler
Andrew-- To be clear, I don't see an answer there on MSDN, right?

You're the second person who's said they've had a problem where DNS is not working properly within Microsoft Edge, and that using Fiddler resolves this problem because the DNS lookup no longer occurs inside Edge itself. I'll try to dig up the post from the other person, who fixed this problem either by starting some service or changing some permission.

-Eric

Eric Lawrence

May 20, 2016, 9:48:52 AM5/20/16
to Fiddler

Andrew Lopukhov

May 31, 2016, 3:26:59 PM5/31/16
to Fiddler
Good day Eric. Thanks for all your help so much. I had no time recently to fix my problem, but one day it just disapearred. I made no changes to my system this time, so I can't guess any reason for it.