Can I install Fiddler on Surface RT?

Chang Cheng

Mar 3, 2014, 5:31:27 AM3/3/14
to httpf...@googlegroups.com
I didn't find fiddler for Surface RT on the site http://www.telerik.com/download/fiddler/.

Also failed to find fiddler on the Windows Store.

The fiddler doesn't seem to be supported on Surface RT.

Could you please share us a way to install fiddler on Surface RT?

EricLaw

Mar 5, 2014, 7:04:18 PM3/5/14
Unfortunately, all Windows RT devices are locked down at the kernel level to forbid running any applications not delivered through the store. Store-delivered applications are required to run inside a sandbox that forbids the types of actions (e.g. running a local proxy server) required to allow Fiddler to function. (Prior to that lockdown, during Windows 8's development, I ran Fiddler on the pre-release Surface devices. It was pretty neat).

To use Fiddler with a Windows RT (or non-Windows) device, run Fiddler on a PC or Windows virtual machine, and point the device's proxy settings at the Fiddler machine. See http://fiddlerbook.com/fiddler/help/hookup.asp#Q-NonWindows for details.

Chang Cheng

Mar 13, 2014, 2:41:27 AM3/13/14
to httpf...@googlegroups.com
I can not run Fiddler on another machine to monitor traffic. If there is a tool(s) like fiddler that can be used on surface?

EricLaw

Mar 13, 2014, 9:15:04 AM3/13/14
to httpf...@googlegroups.com
No, as I said, all Windows RT applications must be sandboxed and cannot expose the functionality to build a debugger like Fiddler.

If you really don't have ANY other PC capable of running Windows or Linux on which you could run Fiddler, you could run Fiddler on a virtual machine in the cloud (e.g. Azure, AWS).

Sean tech-gk

Apr 1, 2014, 2:37:09 PM4/1/14
to httpf...@googlegroups.com
Really makes me want to re-consider my earlier hankering to get a Surface..  Lock-down = ugly hardware behavior