Copy Session to extract exact session without HTML entity encoding?

Ben Edelman

Dec 19, 2014, 11:08:28 PM12/19/14
to httpf...@googlegroups.com
I often use the Fiddler "Copy Session" command to copy a full HTTP request, response header, and response body to another program (e.g. Notepad) for plaintext archival.  I've noticed that Copy Session encoded many characters.  For example, a standard double-quotation mark becomes " -- HTML entity encoding.

I don't need or want encoding for this purpose -- would prefer to keep the response body exactly as it was received over-the-wire.  Is there a way to disable encoding?

Of course I can manually copy and paste from the Raw panels of the Inspector tab.  But that's quite a few more clicks.
fiddler-inspector.PNG
fiddler-copy-session.PNG

EricLaw

Dec 20, 2014, 12:21:33 PM12/20/14
to httpf...@googlegroups.com
Well that's horrifying!

Fiddler puts two formats on the clipboard, plaintext and HTML (to allow color coding of headers). The HTML obviously should be encoded, and the plaintext should not.

This worked properly from October 2003 to March 2014. It's been broken since then.

Thanks a ton for reporting this. It will be fixed for the next build (v2.4.9.9).