Issue with Rails & ForceSSL

JasonGoecke

May 14, 2011, 11:27:52 AM5/14/11
to HTTParty Gem
I am using HTTParty to hit some SSL based Webservices from within a
Rails 3 app. It works locally without ForceSSL, but then when I deploy
to Heroku with a static IP and the ForceSSL middleware in use I get
intermittent issues:

https://gist.github.com/44cf36efb89e1f5dbde3

Now, looking at the HTTParty source I see this error in:

raise UnsupportedURIScheme, "'#{new_uri}' Must be HTTP or HTTPS"
(request.rb in httparty. The uri function, line 43)

But, if I remove the ForceSSL and deploy to Heroku, everything is
fine. Further, the failure rate when deployed with ForceSSL is 50/50.
What could be throwing this error in HTTParty intermittently like this?