UA sniffing on webpagetest.org?

Charlie Clark

Aug 21, 2014, 6:58:31 AM8/21/14
to httpa...@googlegroups.com
I think is one for Pat - have you put a block on certain UAs for some
resources?

I'm currently getting 403 when I try and get the HAR file via Python eg.
http://httparchive.webpagetest.org/export.php?test=140815_A_69JF&run=2&cached=0&pretty=1

But this works fine in a browser or curl which suggests there's a block.

* Connected to httparchive.webpagetest.org (149.20.63.13) port 80 (#0)
> GET /export.php?test=140801_2_1PSK HTTP/1.1
> Host: httparchive.webpagetest.org
> Accept: */*

< HTTP/1.1 200 OK
* Server nginx is not blacklisted
< Server: nginx
< Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2014 10:44:02 GMT

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director

Patrick Meenan

Aug 21, 2014, 8:13:52 AM8/21/14
to httpa...@googlegroups.com
I had to put the block in place because someone had a script that was pulling HARs for every test in every crawl we had ever run which was causing some pretty significant server problems.  I just dropped the block but if the crawling of the results picks back up again I may have to put it back (if I remember correctly, blocking at the IP level was a game of whack-a-mole because they switched IP blocks every few hours).

Charlie Clark

Aug 21, 2014, 8:23:22 AM8/21/14
to httpa...@googlegroups.com
Am .08.2014, 14:13 Uhr, schrieb Patrick Meenan <patm...@gmail.com>:

> I had to put the block in place because someone had a script that was
> pulling HARs for every test in every crawl we had ever run which was
> causing some pretty significant server problems. I just dropped the
> block
> but if the crawling of the results picks back up again I may have to put
> it
> back (if I remember correctly, blocking at the IP level was a game of
> whack-a-mole because they switched IP blocks every few hours).

That's entirely understandable: inconsiderate crawlers can be a real pain.
I seem to remember someone posting on the list about wanting to do that.

I think there is still an IP block for my server: 213.131.254.165. I'd be
surprised if that was generating a lot of traffic. It may have done for a
while because of bug related to how the thumbnails were stored.

Patrick Meenan

Aug 21, 2014, 8:35:03 AM8/21/14
to httpa...@googlegroups.com
ok, give it a shot now.