[http-state] taking further cookie discussion to ietf-http-wg list ? (was: "Revising RFC6265"

=JeffH

Nov 13, 2015, 12:22:49 PM11/13/15
to HTTP State, Mark Nottingham, Barry Leiba

Daniel Stenberg <dan...@haxx.se> wrote:

> FYI, Over in http-wg:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/ietf-http-wg/2015OctDec/0165.html

Yep -- this was discussed variously at W3C TPAC and IETF in the last couple
weeks. text of above msg attached below.

At this point, Mark N. aka mnot and Barry Leiba the area director wish to
have the existing httpbis WG take on this work, rather than re-constitute
the http-state WG (for the third time :) ..so the work will occur on the
ietf-h...@w3.org list going forward.

therefore, I am thinking that we ought to close this http-state@ list to
further posting and place a final tombstone message here directing folks to
take any further cookie-related discussion to the http list
<ietf-h...@w3.org>

thoughts?

=JeffH

From: Mark Nottingham <mn...@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 11:16:17 +1100
Cc: Mike West <mk...@google.com>
To: HTTP Working Group <ietf-h...@w3.org>
As discussed in Yokohama, we have several proposals for modifying RFC6265
('Cookies'), including:

- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-leave-secure-cookies-alone
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-cookie-prefixes
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-first-party-cookies
- https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-origin-cookies

Additionally, there are a number of errata against the document:
http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata_search.php?rfc=6265

A few notes:

* Our Area Director generally supports us taking on work on this specification.

* Because of the way that Cookies are defined, it's not practical to publish
modifications to the algorithms as separate documents; rather, I strongly
suspect we need to "open up" the Cookie specification itself to incorporate
them.

* Many have argued that RFC6265 was more successful than previous efforts
because it restricted itself to documenting current behaviours, rather than
speculatively adopting what seems like "good ideas" at the time.

Keeping all of that that in mind, my current thinking is that we should:

1. Select a set of proposals (expressed as Internet Drafts) that reflect
implementation experience
2. Once we have consensus on their contents, edit the Cookie specification
itself to incorporate them, as well as the errata
3. Upon incorporation, go immediately to WGLC to confirm that the proposals
have been correctly applied.

The tricky part here is determining what "reflects implementation
experience," because some implementers may be reluctant to adopt a
pre-standard spec, and because some of these proposals require
implementation both on the client and server side
(leave-secure-cookies-alone seeming to be the exception here).

To aid that, I'd like to treat the Call for Adoption process for each
proposal draft as a "call for intent to implement" -- with the idea that if
we see a significant amount of interest by the relevant parties, that's a
good sign for adoption. Then, we can work on the individual specifications
in parallel with that implementation.

Importantly, we would NOT be taking non-editoral issues on the Cookie spec
itself; changes would have to go through the draft proposal process outlined
above.

Of course, we're not limited to the proposals listed above; if you have one,
please submit a draft soon (or give me a heads up that you'll be doing so).
Likewise, it may be that some of the proposals aren't ready for
standardisation, but might be in the future; we're not limited to one revision.

Does this approach make sense to everyone?

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham https://www.mnot.net/

Daniel Stenberg

Nov 13, 2015, 5:03:55 PM11/13/15
to =JeffH, Mark Nottingham, Barry Leiba, HTTP State
On Fri, 13 Nov 2015, =JeffH wrote:

> therefore, I am thinking that we ought to close this http-state@ list to
> further posting and place a final tombstone message here directing folks to
> take any further cookie-related discussion to the http list
> <ietf-h...@w3.org>

> thoughts?

Sounds like a very sensible approach to me!

--

/ daniel.haxx.se

Barry Leiba

Nov 13, 2015, 5:29:57 PM11/13/15
to Mark Nottingham, HTTP State
>> therefore, I am thinking that we ought to close this http-state@ list to
>> further posting and place a final tombstone message here directing folks to
>> take any further cookie-related discussion to the http list
>> <ietf-h...@w3.org>
>
> Sounds like a very sensible approach to me!

Yes, works for me, too. Jeff, let me know when you think we should
take action, and I'll ask the Secretariat to do it.

Barry