Representing HTML5 instream video ads in VAST

jburke

Nov 1, 2010, 2:35:10 PM11/1/10
to HTML5 Video Development
Has there been any work around the schema required for
linear and non-linear HTML5 ads in VAST? I can see it being similar to
the way CompanionAds are managed, although like Companions it seems
that we'll need to define the rendering of the ad (with the various
javascript/HTML) versus the rest of the VAST document are URLs and
attributes (so that the consumer of the doc can render). Probably not
the cleanest implementation.

Feels like we'll need a VPAID for HTML5...a common language to allow
for consistency across HTML5 ad units from diff't vendors.

Jason Burke
VP Product
ScanScout

gthmb

Nov 1, 2010, 3:13:21 PM11/1/10
to HTML5 Video Development
I don't see why the VPAID spec (or at least a subset of it) couldn't
be used for communication between the pub player and the ad logic. I
think that we should push for a standard way to pass JS based ad tags
in VAST. The current non linear node with a .js file url in the place
of a SWF url is nice option.

something like:

<NonLinear width="300" height="50">
<StaticResource creativeType="text/js"><![CDATA[http://.../
ad.js]]></StaticResource>
</NonLinear>

Not sure about Linear Ads. Perhaps overload a <MediaFile> node with a
js file?

-jon

jburke

Nov 1, 2010, 3:28:19 PM11/1/10
to HTML5 Video Development
Likewise with Linear ads...

<MediaFile width="600" type="text/javascript" height="396"
delivery="progressive">
<URL>
<![CDATA[http://www.blah.com/myLinearAd.js]]>
</URL>
</MediaFile>

Delivering these thru VAST and allowing them to be run by any HTMl5 ad
manager does demand a VPAID api to allow JsAd to Html5Player
communication.
This will allow for any HTMl5 ad mgr to use any Html5 ad that follows
the VPAID spec.

Tehre will need to be some sort of namespacing or class-based spec for
these javascript ads because of VPAID method name collisions in the
javascript world.