<video> tag metadata events

Zachary Ozer

Jan 2, 2011, 5:14:10 PM1/2/11
to html5-video...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

Just had a question on our forums about HTML5 <video> metadata.

In my initial browser testing, meta events would periodically get
fired, but never contained any event data (at least not in the
browsers I checked). Do any of y'all have any experience with this?
Any idea where the metadata might be hiding?

Best,

Zach
--
Zachary Ozer
Developer, LongTail Video

w: longtailvideo.com • e: za...@longtailvideo.com • p: 212.244.0140
f: 212.656.1335
JW Player  |  Bits on the Run  |  AdSolution

Kelly Sutton

Jan 3, 2011, 12:18:42 PM1/3/11
to HTML5 Video Development
Hi Zach,

For the metadata about the video itself, most of what you would need
gets loaded into some part of the <video> element itself through
attributes. It's not definitely everything (e.g. I don't know how to
detect the bitrate of the file you just loaded into a video tag), but
it's just the basics. I don't know of anyway to load in all of the
metadata from, say, a QuickTime movie container. For now, it looks
we'll only have access to whatever the browsers implement. You are not
mistaken in being unable to find lots of metadata around the video
file.

I guess we've got it easy at blip; since we generate all files that
get played through our player, we can infer some of the metadata we
don't have acces to through the video tag (e.g. bitrate, codec).

Kelly Sutton
blip.tv

On Jan 2, 5:14 pm, Zachary Ozer <z...@longtailvideo.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Just had a question on our forums about HTML5 <video> metadata.
>
> In my initial browser testing, meta events would periodically get
> fired, but never contained any event data (at least not in the
> browsers I checked). Do any of y'all have any experience with this?
> Any idea where the metadata might be hiding?
>
> Best,
>
> Zach
> --
> Zachary Ozer
> Developer, LongTail Video
>
> w: longtailvideo.com • e: z...@longtailvideo.com • p: 212.244.0140

Zachary Ozer

Jan 4, 2011, 3:05:54 PM1/4/11
to html5-video...@googlegroups.com
This is exactly our problem - some of the data is available
(videoHeight and videoWidth, for example), but it seems like randomly
injected metadata (like credits and cuepoints) isn't.

There are a bunch of Stack Overflow posts and tutorials (like
http://blog.nihilogic.dk/2008/08/reading-id3-tags-with-javascript.html)
that point this out, but alas, there appears to be no solution.

Thanks anyway!