Games in development / questions

Wilf

Jul 28, 2011, 11:31:26 AM7/28/11
to HTML5 Game Development
Hi,

let's see if I can kickstart some interest in this group.

What's everyone working on just now ?
Post your web site links / screenshots / ideas for current
developments.

Do you have an idea for a game that you'd like to design / develop ?
Do you need any help getting it off the ground ?

What would you like to see changed / improved within HTML5 / CSS or
the Canvas API in general.

What puzzles you about developing HTML5 games ?
Do web sockets fascinate and baffle you in equal measures ?

Ask away.

Wilf

jamie

Jul 29, 2011, 1:57:36 PM7/29/11
to html5-game-...@googlegroups.com
We're developing a gaming platform for mobile HTML5 and have also announced a developer fund. If anybody is interested can ask me (ja...@corp.mocospace.com) or see http://www.mocospace.com/developers for details.

Joe Thomas

Jul 29, 2011, 2:07:34 PM7/29/11
to html5-game-...@googlegroups.com
It baffles me that the existence of misconfigured proxies is
considered a weakness of websocket. It also baffles me that they
bothered with websocket at all, when what we need is udp / rtp, and
tcp / sctp.

I'm waiting eagerly for PeerConnection to be supported.

Luis Montes

Jul 29, 2011, 2:27:48 PM7/29/11
to html5-game-...@googlegroups.com
If someone considers connections being sniped by a proxy a websocket problem, they don't understand what websocket is used for.

Sending tiny bidirectional messages over a socket is a huge leap from where we were at with short/long polling before.  It's definitely no replacement for UDP, but it's very useful for certain types of games.

Luis Montes

Oct 6, 2011, 12:54:58 PM10/6/11
to html5-game-...@googlegroups.com
Forgot to mention it here, but I published my first HTML5 game on the chrome webstore a few days ago

It's a simple billiards game using canvas, box2d, and dojo

Luis

Wilf

Oct 10, 2011, 10:05:57 AM10/10/11
to HTML5 Game Development
Hey Luis,

this is a great game !
It's good to see I'm a consistently bad pool player :-)

Great work.
It would be great to see more like this.

Mark

Luis Montes

Oct 10, 2011, 10:09:46 AM10/10/11
to html5-game-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback!  I'm awful at this and I'm the author of it :)
I'm going to put out a couple of cleanups to it, and another mode you can switch to soon.

Also, have another somewhat similar idea I'm about 25% complete on that hopefully I can get in the chrome webstore soon.

Luis

Wilf

Oct 10, 2011, 10:13:51 AM10/10/11
to HTML5 Game Development
Excellent.
How have you found working with Box2D ?
I notice it's getting more exposure and looks pretty powerful.

Mark

Luis Montes

Oct 10, 2011, 10:33:41 AM10/10/11
to html5-game-...@googlegroups.com
I am completely smitten with box2dweb right now.  Brilliant piece of code.  Could definitely use a bigger community and more involvement in the forums though.

It's really cool that once you start putting objects in a world and get things moving things around, the game ideas start flowing.