New WebGL MMO

Ben Adams

Mar 4, 2014, 5:34:35 PM3/4/14
to html5-game-...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Age of Ascent

Just wanted to let you know that we're going to try to break the world record for Worlds Largest PvP battle on 14 March, with a public alpha test of the PvP component of a new space-based MMO called Age of Ascent (AoA).  Its entirely browser based with WebGL and Websockets and should work with the WebGL gang of four (Chrome, Firefox, IE11 and Opera).

Whilst the full game won't launch until early 2015 (and we'll be doing a kickstarter on the back of hopefully proving the technology we've developed), we hope to break the world record and we're doing it in real-time, with direct-piloted dogfighting for all players.

You can see a video of our last live player stress test a few days ago here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Qjwxpt14KA (worth setting quality to 1080p if you can). We didn't have smooth ship interpolation on so we could work out what the Websockets were doing!

We've also been working with Microsoft to develop a cloud-based distributed architecture for MMOs that will be capable of this kind of scale.

It's going to be an official world record attempt, and a GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS(tm) Adjudicator will be present at the attempt's control room, which we will steam live, but I hope you will all be too busy playing to watch!

Delighted to answer any questions; please do join in and share this.

Please share and spread the word about the power of WebGL and modern browsers.

Best wishes,

Kind regards
Ben Adams
@ben_a_adams