HTF17 Mentor Sign-Up Sheet Has Been Posted

Shane Wasley

Aug 8, 2016, 3:35:15 AM8/8/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Dear HTF Volunteers,

If you are joining us this year, please visit the link and claim a spot at one of the stations.

Thank you,

Shane and Nick

Allan Alcorn

Aug 11, 2016, 6:05:29 PM8/11/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Events have come up and I will not be able to run the soldering table. I’ll do it next time.

Al

Joe Mathes

Aug 11, 2016, 6:37:35 PM8/11/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
I also can't be there :\

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 3:05 PM, Allan Alcorn <a...@alcorn.tv> wrote:
Events have come up and I will not be able to run the soldering table.  I’ll do it next time.

Al

> On Aug 8, 2016, at 12:35 AM, Shane Wasley <shane....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear HTF Volunteers,
>
> The mentor sign-up sheet for HTF17 has been posted here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y-0aHKWWyCz4aAZgbqbEvLWWnQkNePOkEBUCZJVL52k/edit?usp=sharing.
>
> If you are joining us this year, please visit the link and claim a spot at one of the stations.
>
> Thank you,
>
> Shane and Nick

Joe Mathes

Aug 11, 2016, 6:38:03 PM8/11/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
I do have a bunch of HtF stuff to hand off to anyone who wants it

jocelyn berl

Aug 11, 2016, 7:17:44 PM8/11/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com

Also, a friendly reminder that the check-in boxes are in David weekly's shed. There are 3. Address is 926 Madison Ave redwood city CA. You should probably reach out to him and Becca before going over, but they know someone will co.e by for them.  And take lots of pictures and video so I can include them in the Microsoft guest blog.

James Donald

Aug 11, 2016, 8:13:02 PM8/11/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Shane Wasley, jocelyn berl, Joe Mathes
Jocelyn: In a thread this morning, Shane opted to get the boxes from you. Sorry we probably should have CC'd you. It sounds like you've already departed for Boulder? In that case you should share David Weekly's contact info w/ Shane.

You'll be missed, Al & Joe!

Joe, where do you live? South Bay might be far from Shane so we should delegate to an attending volunteer who is geographically closest to you.

Shane Wasley

Aug 11, 2016, 8:15:45 PM8/11/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Hi Allan,

I’m sorry to hear that you can’t make it this time. Do you think that someone could take up the station without you, for this time?

I ask because I know that my dad knows how to solder (he taught me a little bit as a kid) and he might be interested in helping at the soldering station this year. If you are open to this idea, please let me know.

Regards,

Shane

Nick Duguid

Aug 11, 2016, 8:28:59 PM8/11/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Joe I can pick stuff up from you this weekend sometime.

Joe Mathes

Aug 12, 2016, 3:09:31 AM8/12/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Nick: i'm freeest sunday

jocelyn berl

Aug 12, 2016, 3:48:14 AM8/12/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com

It seems like I've been left off quite a bit of emails. I guess it no longer matters since I won't be around.

David's number is 14153362617. It's best to stop by around 6 pm. That'd after dinner but before baby goes to bed. Any other time would be an inconvenience for them because people with kids go to bed at earlier hours.

Nick Duguid

Aug 12, 2016, 12:19:27 PM8/12/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com

Guys, we have almost no one signed up on the sheet, and we're only a week away.  We need to make sure we have enough mentors to put this thing on.

If you have not already, PLEASE sign up for a station for Hack the Future 17.
Please also recruit friends.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y-0aHKWWyCz4aAZgbqbEvLWWnQkNePOkEBUCZJVL52k/edit?pref=2&pli=1

Thanks!

-Nick

Joe Mathes

Aug 12, 2016, 1:03:29 PM8/12/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Also, RECRUIT! Anyone you think might be interested

dawn murakami

Aug 12, 2016, 4:23:21 PM8/12/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
If someone can send me a short write-up with details, I'll be happy to send out a call for mentors
to the coderdojosv mentor list.

Unfortunately I'm in Texas that weekend for work. I'll see if I can find some volunteers though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Woodall
wjw...@gmail.com
williamjwoodall.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 1:18 PM, 'dawn murakami' via Hack the Future Volunteer Group <htf-vol...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
If someone can send me a short write-up with details, I'll be happy to send out a call for mentors
to the coderdojosv mentor list.

James Donald

Aug 16, 2016, 12:09:44 AM8/16/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group, dawn murakami
Dawn, how's this for a writeup?

----------------
Hack the Future 17 will be held on Saturday, August 20th at The Tech Museum of Innovation in San Jose. Hack the Future is an all-day party / hackathon for kids, and you can read more at http://hackthefuture.org

We are seeking volunteers to mentor at the various stations. If you'd like to volunteer, please enter your name into the spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1y-0aHKWWyCz4aAZgbqbEvLWWnQkNePOkEBUCZJVL52k/edit

Volunteers should arrive at The Tech by 8:30 am for setup, and the event concludes around 5:00 pm. If you must arrive later or depart early, we'd love to have your help regardless. Please coordinate with your station captain accordingly.

If you have any friends or colleagues who would be interested, please encourage them to sign up to mentor as well!
----------------

Could you send this to CoderDojoSV if you haven't asked there already?

I'm due to loop back with NVIDIA, Intel, and Google since although they weren't able to provide financial sponsorship, they did offer to recruit mentors from their engineering force. I'll reach out to them shortly.

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 2:04 PM, William Woodall <wjw...@gmail.com> wrote:
Unfortunately I'm in Texas that weekend for work. I'll see if I can find some volunteers though.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
William Woodall
wjw...@gmail.com
williamjwoodall.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Valerie Freitas

Aug 16, 2016, 12:29:43 AM8/16/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com, dawn murakami
Just put this out to TriValley CoderDojo as well.

Val

James Donald

Aug 16, 2016, 9:54:22 PM8/16/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Shane Wasley, Nicholas Duguid, dawn murakami
The recent recruiting push may have helped. Currently I count 17 mentors in the spreadsheet.

The Eventbrite signups have been closed for about 18 hours since we last hit 60 registrants. We have at least five parents who contacted us via Eventbrite asking if there is any way to register. Time to bump the number of spots up to 70?

And we'll still have to be optimistic and push for more mentors.

Wendy Zhang

Aug 16, 2016, 10:45:00 PM8/16/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Just a quick question about Website section, what kind of proficiency would I need for that section? Do I need to know full stack & network concepts or just basic html/css? How proficient are these participants?

Thanks,
Wendy

Nick Duguid

Aug 16, 2016, 10:47:39 PM8/16/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com

Kids are usually all pretty new to this stuff, but also very quick on the uptake.
A table is what you make it.  If you want to hand code html in notepad, you can do that, and kids will join.  If you want to do more complicated stuff, you can do that, and kids will join.  It's very freeform.  You'll adjust to the kids you get.

-Nick

Aug 16, 2016, 10:53:04 PM8/16/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
Thanks :)

Emily Ramos

Aug 16, 2016, 11:24:56 PM8/16/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com, Nicholas Duguid, dawn murakami, Shane Wasley

Hey James and HtF team!

We are actually moving the event to our New Venture Hall instead of The Tech Studio, so we can increase the capacity (if we have enough mentors).

It can fit about 300 people total. The only issue will be power. We will need a lot of power strips. We have some here, but probably not enough.

Sorry for the delay!

Cheers
Emily

James Donald

Aug 17, 2016, 1:35:22 PM8/17/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Nicholas Duguid, dawn murakami, Shane Wasley
Didn't hear any objections so I bumped the number of openings by 10 (total 70 for the time being). Then three of those ten spaces got booked just now. I responded to all the parents who had contacted via Eventbrite asking about the sold-out sign. So we'll probably be sold out again this afternoon until we get can find more mentors. Everybody, please keep recruiting your friends. Post on social media, etc.

Emily,

It'll be nice to have a spacious hall, although we're far from having enough mentors + kids to fill it. If things continue at the current sign-up rate and we end up with only ~25 mentors + 80 kids, would we be sufficient on power strips?

Emily Ramos

Aug 17, 2016, 3:05:02 PM8/17/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com, Nicholas Duguid, dawn murakami, Shane Wasley
Yup. HtF has power strips, too, I think. Anyway, the only limiting factor is mentors at this points.

James Donald

Aug 17, 2016, 5:00:20 PM8/17/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group, Nicholas Duguid, dawn murakami, Shane Wasley
I just sent out that directed outreach email like I did for HtF16. I placed specific people who volunteered at HtF14, 15, or 16 on the To: line if they haven't already signed up.

Hopefully we'll get a couple more mentors among those ~35 potentials, then we can open up spots for more kids.

Since we had ordered 120 T-shirts (that estimate came from the last Tech Museum HtF) we'll surely have extras. Oh well, by the end I'm sure a few parents may be eager to grab extras to give to friends and hacker siblings.

Ethan Lipka

Aug 17, 2016, 5:11:55 PM8/17/16
to Digest recipients

Hey,
I have a freind who might be able to do the soldering table but he doesn't have the boxes of stuff with the little robots for the kids to make. If he agreed to help would those boxes be there to help him teach?
Sincerely,
Ethan Lipka

Nick Duguid

Aug 17, 2016, 5:30:25 PM8/17/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com

I think Shane signed his dad up to do Soldering.  I'll be bringing my soldering station.
Your friend would be more than welcome to come lend a hand.

-Nick

Unfortunately we won’t have access to the soldering materials Allan normally brings for this event, so, AFAIK my dad is trying to figure out a lesson plan/game plan for the soldering station - including what materials to bring. Can I put your friend in touch with him about the soldering station? There might be an opportunity to collaborate on something before Saturday.

Please let me know.

-Shane

Lee Felsenstein

Aug 17, 2016, 7:06:33 PM8/17/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Contact Al Alcorn <a...@alcorn.tv> to see if he has the parts and boards for soldering.

On Aug 17, 2016, at 2:30 PM, Nick Duguid <tume...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I think Shane signed his dad up to do Soldering. I'll be bringing my soldering station.
> Your friend would be more than welcome to come lend a hand.
>
> -Nick
>

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 1:18 PM, 'dawn murakami' via Hack the Future Volunteer Group<htf-vol...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> If someone can send me a short write-up with details, I'll be happy to send out a call for mentors
> to the coderdojosv mentor list.

Lee Felsenstein +1 650 814 0427 2460 Park Blvd. #1
l...@fonlyinstitute.com Skype: lfelsenstein Palo Alto, CA 94306
http://www.leefelsenstein.com

James Donald

Aug 19, 2016, 5:17:47 PM8/19/16
to Hack the Future Volunteer Group
We've hit capacity on the Eventbrite again with 70/70. Got one parent so far who emailed asking how she still might be able to get her kids in.

We have 25 mentors signed up, so now we've got some legroom on the 3:1 student:mentor ratio. Let's bump the capacity to 80, promote to parents on the CoderDojoSV and TriValleyCoderDojo lists, and hope for a few more paid signups by this evening.

Yeah?

> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 1:18 PM, 'dawn murakami' via Hack the Future Volunteer Group<htf-volunteers@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> If someone can send me a short write-up with details, I'll be happy to send out a call for mentors
> to the coderdojosv mentor list.

Emily Ramos

Aug 19, 2016, 5:18:55 PM8/19/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me. You have plenty of room here at The Tech!

Shane Wasley

Aug 19, 2016, 5:19:36 PM8/19/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
Ticket quantity updated to 80.

Joe Mathes

Aug 19, 2016, 5:34:39 PM8/19/16
to htf-vol...@googlegroups.com
FWIW you should expect ~30% no-shows. You can probably increase ticket quantity to (3 * m) / (1 - .3) [~=100], where m is the number of mentors