Technology for the classroom/theatre?

Ray Palasz

Feb 26, 2013, 7:17:17 PM2/26/13
to Hstech
Our school district's educational foundation is offering grants up to $1000 for various projects.  Since our school is pushing technology, I was wondering if there was anything technology related to the tech theatre classroom that might be worth applying for.  I could use some of my extracurricular money to supplement the grant, so I'm open to suggestions.

One note:  we are losing our current auditorium for a year and a half while a new one is being built, so any suggestions that might be a good purchase while we perform in temporary settings are good too!

Thanks!

Ray Palasz
Indiana

Teqniqal

Feb 27, 2013, 1:20:57 AM2/27/13
to hst...@googlegroups.com
Safety equipment:  Hardhats (with chin straps), Eye Protection (with soft storage pouch for each), Knee Pads, Dust Masks (disposible), funding for one set of leather gloves for each student (no sharing - sanitary issue) per year, disposable foam hearing protection (buy the 500 or 1000 count boxes - Howard Leight - MAX), headset (over the ear) type hearing protection, face shields for sawing operations, fireproof chemical storage bin, funding for steel-toed work boots for each student (no sharing - sanitary issue).

Books:  Randall Davidson's Eye on Safety trilogy, NFPA 101, NFPA 80, NEC (NFPA 70), Jay Glerum's 'Stage Rigging Handbook - 3rd ed', Backstage Handbook - 3rd ed, Entertainment Rigging (Harry Donovan), The Health & Safety Guide for Film, TV & Theater (Monona Rossol)

Big project:  Get the school district to buy a Fire Extinguisher Trainer like the Bullex Bullseye - everyone in the community can learn from it.  A win-win all the way around.

Training Funding:  Send the teacher(s) to USITT national, LDI, AES, and get their OSHA 10-Hour certificate.  If you have a video program, then go to NAB, too.  If you have to climb on anything:  Get OSHA Fall Protection Training

Big project:  Get a stock picker type man-lift (see: http://www.theatreface.com/profiles/blogs/an-uplifting-experience) instead of ladders.

Big Project:  Get a SawStop table saw with a dust collection system.

Get funding for purchasing fire retardant treatment for all of your stage scenery materials, platforms, costumes, etc.  Rosco Flamex, or similar (http://www.rosco.com/scenic/flamex.cfm), it is required by law, not an option.

Erich Friend
TheatreSafetyBlog

Scott Parker

Feb 27, 2013, 9:29:25 AM2/27/13
to hstech group
What kind of space are we talking about? Erich lists great safety gear for the shop type spaces. What do you need? What do you think you'll be teaching/doing during your time of construction? Do you tend to teach and design process? Do you have more performer types in your classes?
What would you like your students to know that they do not know now?

Scott

Ray Palasz
Indiana

Scott C. Parker