January happennings

Kurt Zeilenga

Dec 27, 2022, 11:20:05 AM12/27/22
to hsfc-a...@googlegroups.com
Here's, at least, some of what's going on...

Tight Lines! -- Kurt

---

Annual Membership Drive - through Jan 11

To join the club or to renew your membership, go to online store at <https://high-sierra-fly-casters.square.site>, add a 2023 Family Membership to your cart along with any goodies you'd like to have, and checkout. Only $30 per family living in the same residence. All those who have paid '23 dues as of 7pm on Jan 11th are eligible to win a $100 gift certificate at The Angler's Edge!

Dues are used to fund membership activities, such as general meetings and fish outs!

---

January General Meeting - Jan 11 at Elks Lodge in the Ranchos

Features "Silver Salmon Fishing in the Aleutian Islands" presentation by Mike Phillips and Kirk Chiapella, along with rod & reel raffle, the usual raffle of small fly fishing goodies, updates on club happenings, etc.. Details to follow in a separate post.

---

NDOW Intro to fly fishing course - Jan 3,10,17 in Gardnerville

This free course, taught by Jan Nemec, covers basic fly tying equipment and techniques before teaching you how to tie a woolly bugger streamer, hares ear nymph, and flying ant dry fly. All equipment is provided and preregistration is required. Go to: https://www.register-ed.com/events/view/191424

---

Trout in the Classroom - various dates

This year we're providing, in cooperation with NDOW and various service organizations, in-class educational and technical assistance to Douglas schools participating in this great program. We'll likely be in a half dozen or so classrooms. If you are interested in volunteering for this program, please contact me.

---

Jeff's Blog

Jeff Evans, who joined our club earlier this year, has started blogging about his fly fishing adventures. It's at <https://blog.hsfc.us>.

---

More content for hsfc.us

We taken a few articles previously published in our newsletter and put them on the web page.... including:
• Fishing the Wet Fly - by Dan Sedergren
• A Fly Fisher's Simple Pleasures - by Bob Taormina
• Go West Young Man- by Dan Sedergren
• Remembrances- by Bob Taormina

All and more can be found at <https://hsfc.us/articles>. We also working on more "fisheries" content, found at <https://www.hsfc.us/fishing/fisheries>.

We welcome submission of fly fishing content from our members and friends. If interested in submitting something, please contact me.

---

Our club calendar is published at https://www.hsfc.us/calendar

---

Facebook

If you happen to be on Facebook, consider following us at @highsierraflycasters and joining the "High Sierra Fly Chatters" group.

---

January Management Meeting (aka board meeting) - Jan 18 at Partnership Douglas County in Minden, 2-3pm

We'll be laying plans for '23. We need help many areas, including:
• communications (email, web site, social media, etc.),
• organizing fly fishing activities, and
• organizing fly tying activities.
Please consider attending and volunteering to help run your club!