Some club news...

Kurt Zeilenga

Jan 12, 2023, 11:05:19 AM1/12/23
to hsfc-a...@googlegroups.com
It was great to see everyone who came out yesterday evening for our first meeting of the year. Kirk, Mike, Jim, and Garth detailed their awesome fly fishing expedition to the Aleutian Islands and extend our thanks to them. It was nice to meet new members and visitors to our club, as well as catch up with our returning members.

David H. went how with the vintage rod and reel and Ron and Jennifer R. won the membership incentive drawing. For those who haven't yet joined/renewed their membership, you can do so at <https://checkout.square.site/buy/6MMVK2VDSUZ7ZOQCEUH6QMFV>. If you are unsure if you've paid your '23 dues, you can ask us by sending an email to membe...@hsfc.us.

Yesterday we learned that the Sagebrush chapter of Trout Unlimited has rewarded us with two grants for our educational programs.

The first grant is to fund equipment for the local Trout in the Classroom program. The funds are sufficient to allow us to purchase another compete classroom setup (tank, water chiller, etc.) for use in Carson Valley elementary school. This year we're providing technical and educational support with 5 classroom setups in the Carson Valley! If you want to get involved in this great program, please contact me. Volunteers for this program must be registered with NDOW and those who provide in-classroom support may be subject to a background check. For more info about the Trout in the Classroom program in Nevada, see <https://sites.google.com/view/troutintheclassroomonline/about-trout-in-the-classroom>.

The second grant is support of our introductory to fly fishing programs, specifically to fund expansion of select programs to the general public. The funding enables these programs to be free. We hope to organize our first introductory to fly fishing class in the coming weeks.

We thank Jeff E. and others who put our grant proposals together and shepherded them through the grant approval process.

I've written an article titled "Hunting California's Native Trout". It is now available at <https://www.hsfc.us/articles/cahunt> for your reading pleasure. We encourage members and friends to submit fly fishing related works for publication on our web site. If interested in submitting something, drop us a note at in...@hsfc.us.

We need help in managing your club! If interested, please contact me to discuss how you can help.

Tight Lines!