March happenings

ku...@boolean.net

Feb 27, 2023, 10:34:56 AM2/27/23
to hsfc-a...@googlegroups.com
Below is a summary of upcoming local fly fishing events. Our calendar is published at <https://hsfc.us/calendar>.

Tight Lines! -- Kurt

Summary of March Happenings
========================

March General Meeting, March 8

Our March general meeting will feature a talk on Spey Fishing by Jeff Evans. Our general meeting will be held on Wednesday, March 8 at the Elks Lodge in the Ranchos. Doors open at 6:30pm. Social until program starts at 7pm. Event is free and open to the public. More details to follow in a separate post.

---

West Walker Fish Out, March 12 (tentative)

In March will be fishing the wild West Walker near Walker, CA. We're currently to hold this on Sunday, March 12. If weather sucks, we may to push it back a bit. Details to follow in a separate post once the schedule (and weather forecasts) firms up.

---

March "tie-in" events

We hope to have two tie-in events in March. In these tying sessions, a half dozen tiers gather to share fly patterns, demonstrate fly tying technics, and gossip. Presently these sessions are full up (space is limited) but occasionally we have openings. But, if interested, drop Daniel an email at <ty...@hsfc.us>.

---

HSFC Intro to Fly Fishing Class, March 25

The club is holding a free Intro to Fly Fishing class on March 25, 2022 in Sheridan area of the Carson Valley, from 12:30-4:30pm. This class will be taught by Dick Betts.

The lecture will cover entomology, fly identification, fly identification, fly presentation, fly selection, fishing tips and how to select a fly rod, reel, fly line, tapered leader, and tippet.

To sign-up, please email us at <in...@hsfc.us>. We'll provide additional details, such as the location, upon sign-up. The class is limited to 15 students.

On-the-water clinics will be offered separately. This free class is open to the public.

Funded, in part, by Trout Unlimited.

---

NDOW Intro to Fly Fishing Clinic, March 31 - April 2.

The club will be hosting an free NDOW Intro to Fly Fishing Clinic on March 31-April 2. The class is oriented for those who have no or little fly fishing experience.

The first session is an outdoor classroom session providing an introduction to various fly fishing topics. This will be from 5-8pm on the 31st at Mitch Park (near the pond). The second session focuses on basic casting on still water. This will be held on April 1 from 9am to noon on Mitch Pond. The third session focuses on casting and mending on running water. This will be held on April 2 from 9am to noon on the East Carson River above "Broken Dam" (if river flows are still high, this session may be moved/replaced).

Instructors for the clinic include Jan Nemec (NDOW) and Kurt Zeilenga (HSFC).

NDOW will have equipment available to borrow for those who don't have their own.

The club has a few registration slots available now for pre-registration. If you would like to sign-up for this free clinic, please let me know on or before Wednesday, March 8. After this, you'll have to sign-up online using NDOW's registration website <https://www.register-ed.com/programs/nevada>.

---

March Management Meeting, March 15

Business as usual at Partnership Douglas County on Wednesday, March 15, 2-3pm.
Location: 1625 NV-88 STE 104, Minden, NV 89423

ku...@boolean.net

Mar 6, 2023, 3:55:21 PM3/6/23
to hsfc-a...@googlegroups.com
Looking forward to Jeff Evan's talk on Spey Fishing this Wednesday... and, in addition to the usual club notices & updates and raffle of small items, we got more.

Fly Exchange!

Bring one or more pairs of flies!  For each pair you contribute, you'll get one ticket into a drawing for half the flies contributed!  The other half will go home with the winner of a bonus drawing of all the general raffle tickets sold.  Note that the flies can be self tied or store bought.  But no used flies, please.

Book Giva-a-way!

The club collected a number of books and videos over the years which need a better home.  We'll have these at the meeting, please take any you want home with you!  You are welcome to leave a small contribution behind in thanks.

Traditional Wet Flies and Soft Hackles

A nice box of flies appropriate for Spey Fishing will be raffled off!

When: Wednesday, 8 March.  Doors open at 6:30pm, social until program starts at 7pm.
Location: Elks Lodge in the Ranchos

Lastly, the West Walker FIsh Out has been canceled due to access issues and weather/river forecast.

If you'd like to volunteer to organize a fish out or camp out or provide a feature presentation at a general meeting, please email us at in...@hsfc.us.

-- Kurt

P.S. We got classes for beginners... see below:

--
High Sierra Fly Casters <https://hsfc.us>
---