HSF Simulation happening in the coming monhts

Gloria Corti

Oct 7, 2020, 6:59:04 AM10/7/20
to hsf-sim...@googlegroups.com, pca...@fnal.gov, Witold....@cern.ch
Dear HSF Detector Simulation friend,

In November there will be a virtual HSF/WLCG workshop (Nov 19, 20  & 23, 24) with a dedicated focused session on Detector Simulation, co-organised with Geant4.

For this reason we do not plan to have any Working Group topical meeting in October or November. Nevertheless if you have any topic you would like to present and discuss with the community in the next month or so, let us know and we will be happy to set up a meeting for it.

In case you have not already received it below you will find the announcement of the HSF/WLCG workshop.

The focused session on Detector Simulation  is currently scheduled on Monday afternoon.

Kind regards,
Gloria, Philippe and Witek

———

Hi everyone

The next joint HSF/WLCG workshop event is planned as a virtual workshop, scheduled for November 19, 20 + 23, 24.
Registration and an initial agenda outline can be found at https://indico.cern.ch/e/HSFWLCG2020virtual2.

For software, there will be sessions on:

* Plenary covering a wide spectrum of HSF activity
* A focus session on event generation
* A focus session on detector simulation, co-organised with Geant4
* And an open session, for software R&D talks selected from contributed abstracts (Nov 24, 1400-1830 GVA).
For this open session, the set of topics is very open, but we would encourage particularly contributions on:
   * Use of accelerated computing devices to help with HEP data processing
   * Novel techniques to handle massive event datasets
   * Making analysis easier for physicists
   * Innovative algorithms for scaling and parallelism

You can submit an abstract at https://indico.cern.ch/event/941278/abstracts/
The deadline to submit an abstract is October 23. We aim to make selections very soon after this deadline  in order to give everyone time for experimental approves and other issues.

Sofia Vallecorsa

Oct 8, 2020, 5:02:19 AM10/8/20
to Gloria Corti, hsf-sim...@googlegroups.com, pca...@fnal.gov, Witold Pokorski
Dear Gloria, All
I was wondering if the focus session on Detector Simulation will include any discussion about examples or strategies/challenges  related to integrating Deep Learning models into simulation tools (Geant4,..).
I also remember initial discussion months ago (maybe a year ago?) about a consistent definition of performance validation strategies for Deep Learning-based simulation

I think both topics are extremely relevant given the number of DL-based application  in the experiments.
thanks
Cheers
Sofia

Witold Pokorski

Oct 8, 2020, 5:31:03 AM10/8/20
to Sofia Vallecorsa, Gloria Corti, hsf-sim...@googlegroups.com, pca...@fnal.gov
Hi Sofia,

Indeed, we are planning there an overview talk on ML-based fast simulation and the integration and validation will certainly be the important aspects the speaker will need to discuss.

Cheers,
Witek