Community Meeting on Detector Simulation GPU R&D

1 view

Witek Pokorski

Feb 11, 2022, 10:02:14 AM2/11/22
to hsf-...@googlegroups.com, hsf-sim...@googlegroups.com, ep-dep-sft (All SFT members), Graeme A Stewart, Evans, Thomas, Johnson, Seth R., Philippe G Canal, Benjamin Morgan, Kevin Pedro, Krzysztof Genser, Witek Pokorski
Dear colleagues,

As some of you may have already heard, there are ongoing R&D activities (AdePT, Celeritas) addressing Monte Carlo detector simulation on GPUs.
These projects aim to answer whether we can run HEP particle transport in an efficient way on these devices.
Their first goal was to implement demonstrators of the electromagnetic calorimeter shower simulation on the GPU, including a realistic geometry description and a set of essential electromagnetic physics processes.

With the first version of those prototypes now ready, we would like to organize a community meeting to present our results, discuss them in the context of the current state of the art simulation applications, invite early feedback, and identify the possible future directions of our R&D.

The meeting will take place during four afternoons (15h-19h CERN time) from the 3rd to the 6th of May. The general topics that will be covered are: core transport algorithm and data infrastructure, geometry, physics, and integration possibilities with Geant4 and users’ frameworks.

If this community meeting is of interest for you, we invite you to participate and provide us with any feedback you may have.

The agenda and any further details will be announced soon.

Best regards,

AdePT project
Celeritas project
HSF Detector Simulation Working Group