Opening at SLAC for Rubin Observatory Campaign Management Services Developer

hern...@gmail.com

May 29, 2024, 9:57:52 AMMay 29
to HEP Software Foundation Open Forum
Hi all,

There's a regular, full-time position at SLAC for doing work on Campaign Management (large-scale batch production) for Rubin Observatory in the Data Management group.

Vera C. Rubin Observatory is Hiring: Services Developer for Data Management

The Opportunity:

Join the Data Management (DM) team at the Vera C. Rubin Observatory, one of modern astronomy's defining missions. With your team, you’ll develop and manage scalable services processing data for our groundbreaking mission: The Legacy Survey of Space and Time (LSST).

Your Impact:

  • Develop automation services for our Campaign Management system, orchestrating  our annual 40-400 million CPU-hour data releases and real-time alert production.
  • Work on a petascale data challenge, managing hundreds of petabytes of data. The LSST will conduct an optical survey of the night sky, generating 15 TB of data nightly with its 8-meter mirror and 3.2 gigapixel camera. Once completed, the LSST will be the largest and most modern optical survey ever made.
  • Directly contribute to a range of astrophysical discoveries, from discovering potentially hazardous asteroids to unlocking the mysteries of dark energy.

The Team:

You'll be part of a ~100-strong, distributed team of scientists and engineers developing petascale data management systems. Our technology stack includes state-of-the-art image processing algorithms, large distributed databases, and the next-generation Rubin Science Platform (RSP). Our lingua franca is Python3, and we openly share our code on GitHub under an open-source license.

Your Role:

  • Lead the development of automation services that launch and monitor data processing campaigns within the Campaign Management group.
  • Orchestrate data releases and alert production, playing a key role in the observatory's output and scientific achievements.
  • Enjoy a central role in operations, with a bird's-eye view of the observatory, image processing software development, and the hardware infrastructure.

The next few years will be exciting for Rubin Observatory as SLAC becomes its data production facility and images begin to flow from the telescope. Join us in making history at the Rubin Observatory as we embark on a decade-long journey to capture the universe like never before.

Given the nature of this position, SLAC is open to on-site, hybrid, and remote work options.

The full ad is available here:

https://erp-hprdext.erp.slac.stanford.edu/psc/hprdext/EMPLOYEE/SL_CG/c/HRS_HRAM_FL.HRS_CG_SEARCH_FL.GBL?Page=HRS_APP_JBPST_FL&Action=U&FOCUS=Applicant&SiteId=1&JobOpeningId=5936&PostingSeq=1