Call for HSF GSoC mentors and projects

Benedikt Hegner

Jan 20, 2023, 8:52:28 AM1/20/23
to hsf-...@googlegroups.com
Dear colleagues,

Google Summer of Code 2023 edition is starting soon, following this timeline. It is an excellent opportunity for our community to connect with brilliant students across the world, getting them involved in our open-source software projects this summer and hopefully well beyond that.

Last year we mentored 27 GSoC student projects within HSF, out of which 23 were successful! Congratulations to all our 2022 students for the nice results! Congratulations also to all of you who supported their projects and hosted them in your teams as mentors or co-mentors!

To make our community and GSoC Organization more visible, we are again planning to make a targeted advertisement of our GSoC project ideas this year. Around February 7 we need to have our 2023 list in good shape for our Organization application (here what we submitted last year). We will then prepare an outreach message and kindly ask for your help distributing it within your grad school/university networks.

Please read below if you are planning to participate in the GSoC 2023 edition, or forward this to people who might be interested. Not sure? Take your time to discuss this in your teams, and drop us a mail to hsf-gso...@googlegroups.com if you have any questions.

Are you interested to participate?

Please have a look at our HSF GSoC page, which explains in detail how to participate and submit new project proposals. Proposals this year will need to mention in addition to the usual information the targeted project duration: medium (175 hours) or long (350 hours), and the project difficulty level. The goal is to add concrete keywords and requirements allowing students to get a quick idea of the project complexity. The proposals will have to mention also the mentors’ availability. All projects start effective work mid-June, but the work can be either compact or sparse, extending possibly as late as mid-November, so it is essential to match the student and mentor availabilities. The project tasks will have to be concrete, targeting well-defined deliverables. Templates for medium/long projects will be provided shortly.

Besides our guidelines, we will provide you with detailed instructions on how to interact and select good candidates and provide you with support along the path for everything to go smoothly even if you are a GSoC newcomer.

The project idea application deadline is February 7th.

To a productive GSoC 2023!

Best regards.
  Benedikt Hegner

P.S.: We are as well still looking for volunteers for the HSF GSoC coordination team this year. Please let us know in case you are interested!

Benedikt Hegner

Jan 31, 2023, 4:10:03 PM1/31/23
to hsf-...@googlegroups.com, hsf-gso...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

this is a reminder for the approaching deadline of Feb 7 for the GSoC application. Please submit your projects to our HSF git repo well on time.

Looking forward to your ideas and project proposals this year.

Best regards,
  Benedikt