Volunteer science and technology professionals and educators

Margo

Dec 16, 2009, 3:20:33 PM12/16/09
to HS_SEM
Contact: Jack Hidary: 917-974-2366; Miro Sutton: 917-750-0303
National Lab Day Inc., 8 West 40th Street, 20th floor, New York, NY,
10010
www.NationalLabDay.org
National Lab Day Launches –
President Obama Applauds Initiative, Calls for New Era
In Hands-On Science, Technology Learning
200 Organizations, 6.5 Million Professionals Partner In Effort

WASHINGTON, D.C. Nov. 23, 2009 – A coalition of educators, science and
engineering associations, philanthropies and other organizations today
announced the launch of National Lab Day, a new grassroots initiative
designed to reinvigorate science and math education in the nation’s
schools and after-school programs and lead to increased U.S.
competitiveness.
President Obama applauded the education initiative and others in a
speech at the White House today.
"Lifting American students from the middle to the top of the pack in
STEM (science, technology,
engineering and math) achievement over the next decade will not be
attained by government alone," he said. "I applaud the substantial
commitments made today by the leaders of companies, universities,
foundations, non-profits and organizations representing millions of
scientists, engineers and teachers from across the country."
National Lab Day aims to inspire a wave of future innovators and
foster U.S. competitiveness by
improving the quality STEM education in America. A collaboration
between government and more
than 200 public- and private-sector organizations, National Lab Day
will connect students in grades 6-12 to hands-on learning experiences
and promote tinkering in laboratory settings.
Among the organizations that have pledged support for National Lab Day
are the John D. and
Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the National Science Teachers
Association, the National Science
Foundation, the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, the Jack D. Hidary
Foundation, the American
Chemistry Society, the National Institutes of Health; and the Business
Roundtable. Together they
represent more than 6.5 million professionals and educators.
National Lab Day will promote hands-on learning throughout the year
and culminate each year with
special events the first week of May. Volunteer science and technology
professionals and educators
will work together with students to improve America’s science labs and
offer inquiry-based STEM
experiences in classrooms, learning labs, and after-school programs.
“We wouldn’t teach football from a textbook,” said John P. Holdren,
President Obama’s science
advisor. “It is even more important that America’s youth have the
opportunity to learn math and
science by doing. The President and I strongly support efforts to
raise the level of project-based
learning, to help cultivate the next generation of doers and makers.”
(Continued . ..)

Contact: Jack Hidary: 917-974-2366; Miro Sutton: 917-750-0303
National Lab Day Inc., 8 West 40th Street, 20th floor, New York, NY,
10010
www.NationalLabDay.org

Jack D. Hidary, chairman of National Lab Day, praised President
Obama’s announcement. “Our
children deserve a world class science and math education that
includes exciting, hands-on lab
experiences,” said Hidary. “Whether you are a Nobel-prize winning
scientist, a Mythbusters fan, a
tinkerer or a parent, you can help bring students the enjoyment of
learning through real challenges.”
Hidary encouraged others to get involved. A website – www.NationalLabDay.org
– launches today to
invite volunteer science and technology professionals as well as
educators and others to sign up to
participate. The website will automatically match volunteers to
requests from educators to participate on the basis of geography and
interests. The website also provides resources and ideas for hands-on
learning experiments and invites the public to suggest new materials.
High Praise for National Lab Day Efforts Thomas H. Lane, president of
the American Chemical Society, said that National Lab Day would
“elevate hands-on learning to an entirely new level in this country.
Improving the ability of our young people to excel in science and
technology is absolutely essential if we are to compete successfully
in the global economy.”
Dr. Francis Eberle, executive director of the National Science
Teachers Association, said that
“bringing together scientists, engineers and teachers in this
nationwide volunteer initiative to improve
labs and inquiry-based science experiences for middle level and high
school students will have
immediate effects on the classroom and instill a passion for and an
appreciation of science, technology, engineering and mathematics in
our nation’s young people.”
“We are pleased to partner with National Lab Day and to align our $2
million dollar annual
competition Reimagining Learning with its goals,” said Robert
Gallucci, the MacArthur Foundation’s
president. "Digital media are the learning labs of the 21st century
and, through the competition, which launches today, educators,
designers and entrepreneurs will respond to President Obama's call to
provide hands on experiences that spark young people's interest and
creativity.”
“Science, technology, engineering and mathematics education is a core
pathway to college-readiness-one that has not always been available,
especially to historically underserved students,” said Vicki Phillips,
director of education at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. “By
engaging the nation’s business, science, technology, and education
leaders, by tapping into their know-how and resources, National Lab
Day can play a catalytic role in opening the STEM field to all
students in a way that reflects high academic standards and exciting
real-world relevance.”
(Continued . ..)
Contact: Jack Hidary: 917-974-2366; Miro Sutton: 917-750-0303
National Lab Day Inc., 8 West 40th Street, 20th floor, New York, NY,
10010
www.NationalLabDay.org
John J. Castellani, president of the Business Roundtable, said that
“President Obama’s announcement underscores the importance of science
and math education in preparing students to succeed throughout their
future careers. National Lab Day is an essential step toward
reinvigorating students’ enthusiasm for science and math—and for
keeping our nation competitive in the global marketplace.”
Technology Companies Promote National Lab Day “We all have a vested
interest in advancing our country’s proficiency in the disciplines of
science, technology, engineering and math as a means to driving
innovation and jobs – which are key to fueling our economic growth and
global competitiveness,” said Steve Ballmer, CEO of Microsoft.
“Microsoft applauds President Obama for making STEM a priority, and we
are committed to working with others in business, government and the
educational field to enhance and leverage U.S. leadership in
information technology.”
“Science and engineering hold the key to economic growth and to
solving the challenges facing our
country in areas like energy, health care, and national security,”
said Rich Templeton, CEO of Texas Instruments. “The President’s STEM
initiative is an important step forward in addressing these
challenges. National Lab Day is a creative approach to engaging young
minds on these critical disciplines.”
John Donovan, chief technology officer of AT&T, said: “AT&T is pleased
to pledge its support to
National Lab Day and its mission to advance math and science
education. The more than 1,200
researchers and engineers of AT&T Labs have a long history of
university collaboration and volunteer
support of educational programs at all levels. Through the National
Lab Day initiative, our researchers will have new opportunities to
share their passion for knowledge with a new generation, serving as
direct resources for educators in developing and delivering high-
impact lessons and lab experiences.”
Several companies are helping with the National Lab Day web platform,
including Pivotal Labs, which develops online platforms that foster
innovation, ePals Inc., a social network optimized for K-12 learning,
Donors Choose, an online platform for teachers to connect directly
with donors, and Maker Faire, which is supplying project designs and
ideas for the site.
####
National Lab Day (www.NationalLabDay.org) is a New York-based
educational organization
dedicated to improving science and math education across the country.
More than 200 organizations representing 6.5 million professionals and
educators have already pledged support for National Lab Day. These
organizations have sent a letter to the President (available at the
above web address) detailing their commitment. National Lab Day
welcomes new partnerships and can be reached at
in...@nationallabday.org.