introduction (UNCLASSIFIED)

Wyatt, Matney Mr CIV USA USACIDC

Apr 1, 2010, 6:53:24 AM4/1/10
to hs_...@googlegroups.com
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

Hi,

I wanted to introduce myself. I am a new member of this group. I came
across it in the most recent issue of Microscopy Today. I am a practicing
forensic scientist who utilizes SEM/EDS/WDS for microscopic imaging as well
as elemental analysis. I have returned to my high school alma mater for
talks about forensic science and the education required. I think it is
great that there is a group trying to get SEMs into high schools. I did not
learn about SEM/EDS/WDS until I was in college and I have loved it ever
since. I think any opportunity to get a student interested in learning is
just fantastic.

I hope I can offer advice and insight to the group.

Thank you,

Mat
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: FOUO

Margo Gill-Linscott

Apr 5, 2010, 6:27:15 PM4/5/10
to Wyatt, Matney Mr CIV USA USACIDC, hs_...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mat,
Thank you for your interest in this group.

I would be interesting in knowing where your alma mater is located and if you would be interested in visiting other schools to talk about forensics.  We know this is an exciting topic for young people as we see so many CIS oriented programs on television.

What age groups have you presented to and how was your presentation received?

I've been involved in gun shot residue evaluation using an SEM which requires a careful eye for subtle grey level differentiation.  What kinds of materials do you deal with most often.  Perhaps there are teachers who would be interested in having some aspect of forensics in their classes.

We look forward to hearing more about your work.

Best regards,
Margo
--
Margo Gill-Linscott
analytic.g...@gmail.com

Justin Kraft

Apr 5, 2010, 7:00:30 PM4/5/10
to Margo Gill-Linscott, Wyatt, Matney Mr CIV USA USACIDC, hs_...@googlegroups.com
I used to teach a forensics-based physical science curriculum, and
they had excellent labs dealing with gunshot residue patterns and
blood spatter patterns. The kit I purchased for the classroom had
some simulated gunshot residue patterns, but I have a friend on the
police force down here who volunteered to go to the shooting range and
generate (On some thick card stock placed near the gun as it was
fired) some real gunshot residue. The students were thrilled to be
looking at the real thing! We didn't do that with blood spatter,
though. Instead what I did was I had some fake blood that was the
same viscosity as real blood and my friend at the police force shot
through some ziplock bags hung on the range and we examined the
pattern on the targets. Again, the fact that real bullets went into
the creation of their materials excited the students to no end!

--Justin.

> --

"America believes in education; the average professor earns more money
in a year than a professional athlete earns in a whole week." Evan
Esar

J Matney Wyatt

Apr 6, 2010, 9:34:28 AM4/6/10
to hs_...@googlegroups.com
My alma mater is Science Hill High School in Johnson City, TN.  I have given talks to that school as well as several schools in Cincinnati (Where I used to work).  I have also given talks to several community organizations and colleges.  The talks I have given are mostly forensics in general.  The talks were always well received.

When we utilize an SEM for gunshot residue we use an automated system that systematically searches collection stubs for heavy elements.  In BSE the heavier elements show up.  With the use of some imaging standards we are able to adjust the gray levels so that heavy elements show up and lighter elements remain black in the background.  The automated system groups particles into categories that we have set up.  This typically runs over night.  The next day (pending no filament drifting or just plain burning out) we search through the categories of particles.  From there it requires a manual confirmation which involves relocation of the particles and longer dwell time on each particle.  This serves two important features: (1) a longer dwell time confirms the true identity of the spectra created by the elements present and (2) requires a fully trained analyst to interpret the results.  This is the point I try to drive home!  The education required to make a good interpretation is essential!  Also important to point out is that there will always be a need for a "trained analyst" and the job market will always be healthy!  Science, science, science!

Since I was in school, there have been many changes in the forensic science education world.  When I was in high school I took a criminal justice class that spent one week on "forensic science."  From that point on, I was focused.  But it would have been great to have learned more about it in my science classes.  Once I found this career path, my AP Chemistry teacher helped to guide me in the right direction with some interesting class examples, but that was it.  Also, when I went to college there were not many options for schools with this program.  Today, forensic science is everywhere.  It's important to emphasize the science required to get a laboratory position.  With the flooding of schools trying to develop a forensic program, it has created a flood of applicants to the job market so the competition is ramped up A LOT!

Science, science, science!

Mat