Demo samples for school projects

Margo Gill-Linscott

Jun 25, 2010, 3:43:43 PM6/25/10
to hs_...@googlegroups.com

On Jun 21, 2010, at 9:12 AM, kaml...@yahoo.com wrote:

 Hi listers,
In a turn of events that will make many of you smile knowingly, I've
been asked to give a half day, hands-on "workshop" on "EM" as a
professional development activity for some local high school science
teachers. It's a great idea, but, as you all well know, there is
just no such thing as throwing something on the SEM or TEM for a
"quick pic"! Thankfully, we have an SEM with LV capabilities so that
we can look at unfixed samples!

Some of these teachers are physics teachers and so probably not so
excited about looking at the biological samples with which I am well-
acquainted and bringing the micrographs back to their students. Do
any of the materials scientists out there have a suggestion for an
easy (and easily available) materials sample to look at with these
teachers?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can offer,
Kristen Lennon
Frostburg State University
Dept of Biological Sciences
Frostburg, MD 21532
kale...@frostburg.edu
http://www.frostburg.edu/dept/biol/

Light bulb filament sample

For any kind of student demo, you want to have a "hook" to engage the
students.  We used a "CSI" theme and used light bulb filaments as our
samples.  Our "story" was about a car accident where there was a
disagreement about whether the driver had his headlights on at the time
of the accident.  The driver claimed his headlights were on and the
other person claimed that the driver turned on his lights after the
accident to make it LOOK like they were on.  I showed 2 burned-out light
bulb filaments; one of which was burning when I broke the glass, the
other of which I broke the glass envelope and and then excited the
filament.

The filament which was hot when broken had glass embedded in the
filament wire, while the other was just oxidized.  The glass globules
were quite visible embedded in the tungsten wire and I could then use
EDX to identify the particles.  In the ensuing discussion, I had the
students deduce the actual scenario.

Note: be careful on breaking the bulbs.  Glass can go flying
everywhere.  I put mine in a paper bag and then used a vise to slowly
crack the glass envelope (so I didn't damage the filament).

Cheers,
Henk

At
6/21/2010 12:03 PM, kaml...@yahoo.com wrote: